danzn16

Migraines And Gluten Free Diet

Rate this topic

Have any of you experienced a decrease in the number of migraines you get by going on a gluten free diet? I've had migraines since I was 3 years old and nothing I've done has helped. My chiropractor thinks I have a gluten sensitivity and thinks I should stop eating gluten and that it would help my migraines. Any one have any experience?

Thanks!

Welcome to the forum.

I had migraines for years, but they stopped completely on the gluten-free diet.

Ditto the last post, actually the only way I know that I've been glutened is when I develop a migraine a couple of hours after.

my doc said it takes 3 weeks to get gluten out of your system. i've been on a gluten free diet for almost 2 weeks. i've had 4 migraines since then. so i'm hoping it's just because gluten is still in my system, or even from withdrawal. i hope it helps!

I had migraines that got increasingly worse until they almost never stopped for 7 years. Within 3 weeks of going gluten free, I knew it was the answer and I would get better being gluten free. Hang in there. I still get a menstrual migraine but it is nothing compared to the gluten migraines. Be very careful of trace gluten and cross contamination because even particles will cause a gluten headache for me (and maybe you too). I hope your Dr. is right and your headaches go away completely.

Mine also stopped once I went gluten free. It took me a while to get strict with the diet and become aware of Cc risk so I had a couple the first month or so but now I only get them with a glutening.

Mine also stopped once I went gluten free. It took me a while to get strict with the diet and become aware of Cc risk so I had a couple the first month or so but now I only get them with a glutening.

How do you get strict with the CC? I am strict at home but not so much when I go out to eat. What do you say to your server to decrease risk of CC?

How do you get strict with the CC? I am strict at home but not so much when I go out to eat. What do you say to your server to decrease risk of CC?

I very rarely go out to eat and when I do I only go to someplace that has a gluten free menu. If you don't know what places near you have a gluten-free menu then go online put in your city and the words gluten free restaurant and you will find your options. We can never assume from the menu that something is gluten free. Some places even mix pancake batter in with their eggs to make them fluffy. Fries need to be asked about and if the anything is cooked in the same fryer as gluten foods then it will not be safe. Plain steak or chicken cooked in a clean pan and seasoned at the table with salt and pepper should be okay as should a baked potato and veggies with no seasoning. Some of us will bring our own salad dressing and ask for a plain salad with no dressing. There are some folks who are sensitive enough to cross contamination that they will eat before they go and simply enjoy others company.

I bought several of these dining cards and love them! http://www.ceceliasmarketplace.com/gluten-free-dining-out-cards.html The color coding is very nice, and they're laminated. I keep one in my wallet. I also like her grocery guide. It fits into my large purse.