This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

I Guess It's Not Celiac?

beachbirdie

beachbirdie Contributor

I have Hashimoto's thyroiditis, and my doctor decided it would be good to test for celiac. My family does have problems eating wheat. My son gets a terrible rash on his hands that goes away when he is gluten free, he also does not get migraines when not eating gluten.

My daughter had terrible bloating and pain in her abdomen when she eats it.

I get the rash, and have diverticuar problems.

I'm guessing it's just allergy after seeing the tests, could someone confirm?

Negative for HLA.

Negative for Endomysial IgA

IgA - 306, the high end of range is 359. I guess that would signal allergic activity?

Gliadin IgA - 5.3

Gliadin IgG - only 3.2.

TTG IgA - 6.6.

Thanks much,

beachbirdie

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

psawyer Proficient

Hard to tell. Each lab has its own ranges based on the historical results of the test as they administer it. To interpret the results we really need to have the normal ranges for each test as provided by the lab in question.

If IgA is Total Serum IgA, that is a measurement of the level at which the immune system is functioning and producing antibodies. A moderate to high reading means that your immune system is operating normally, and would tend to rule out false negatives on the other tests.

cassP Contributor

I have Hashimoto's thyroiditis, and my doctor decided it would be good to test for celiac. My family does have problems eating wheat. My son gets a terrible rash on his hands that goes away when he is gluten free, he also does not get migraines when not eating gluten.

My daughter had terrible bloating and pain in her abdomen when she eats it.

I get the rash, and have diverticuar problems.

I'm guessing it's just allergy after seeing the tests, could someone confirm?

Negative for HLA.

Negative for Endomysial IgA

IgA - 306, the high end of range is 359. I guess that would signal allergic activity?

Gliadin IgA - 5.3

Gliadin IgG - only 3.2.

TTG IgA - 6.6.

Thanks much,

beachbirdie

agree with sawyer- without the ranges- we're kind of guessing.

that being said- first off- most doctors only test for DQ2 and DQ8- so your negative HLA gene test doesnt necessarily mean anything- as there are people with Celiac and NonCeliac gluten intolerance without those 2 genes.

your other numbers look negative to weak positive im GUESSING.

your Iga at 306 indicates your immune system isworking properly as sawyer noted.

all of THAT being said- if your symptoms get better gluten free- then you have to listen to your body- ON TOP OF THAT- you should be gluten free with Hashimoto's!!! gluten is a huge aggravator to those TPO antibodies

GFinDC Veteran

You son might have Dermatitis Herpetiformis, a condition only celiacs get. the doc can biopsy the skin next to the blisters to check them for gluten antibodies.

The blood antibody tests are not perfect, and false negatives are possible.

beachbirdie Contributor

agree with sawyer- without the ranges- we're kind of guessing.

that being said- first off- most doctors only test for DQ2 and DQ8- so your negative HLA gene test doesnt necessarily mean anything- as there are people with Celiac and NonCeliac gluten intolerance without those 2 genes.

your other numbers look negative to weak positive im GUESSING.

your Iga at 306 indicates your immune system isworking properly as sawyer noted.

all of THAT being said- if your symptoms get better gluten free- then you have to listen to your body- ON TOP OF THAT- you should be gluten free with Hashimoto's!!! gluten is a huge aggravator to those TPO antibodies

Thank you both for your replies. I should have known better and posted the ranges. Sorry I forgot.

The range for TTG IgA and the two gliadin antibodies is "less than or equal to 19.9" and I didn't have higher than 6.6 on any of them. So, it's looking pretty weak.

However, I did not look carefully at the report and it looks like the HLA is NOT there. I'll be getting back with my doctor on that.

I do feel much better when off the gluten, as does my son. I have pretty bad diverticulosis (and two bouts with diverticulitis), which I don't understand since I eat a diet that should not cause that.

Anyway I will try to maintain a gluten free diet even if not celiac.

Thanks again for your input.

beachbirdie

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Thank you both for your replies. I should have known better and posted the ranges. Sorry I forgot.

The range for TTG IgA and the two gliadin antibodies is "less than or equal to 19.9" and I didn't have higher than 6.6 on any of them. So, it's looking pretty weak.

However, I did not look carefully at the report and it looks like the HLA is NOT there. I'll be getting back with my doctor on that.

I do feel much better when off the gluten, as does my son. I have pretty bad diverticulosis (and two bouts with diverticulitis), which I don't understand since I eat a diet that should not cause that.

Anyway I will try to maintain a gluten free diet even if not celiac.

Thanks again for your input.

beachbirdie

The tests do have pretty high rates of false negatives so do give the diet a good strict try to see if it helps. Your body will know the answer.

• 2 weeks later...
beachbirdie Contributor
The tests do have pretty high rates of false negatives so do give the diet a good strict try to see if it helps. Your body will know the answer.

Thanks Ravenwoodglass. We eat a lot of gluten free, but have not been firm about it. It's so easy to play around "off the reservation" when not having a definitive diagnosis.

I just got my gene test back, it says "Low Risk". Here's the gene, I don't know what it really means!

DQ2.2 (HLA DQA1*0201 : DQB1*0202) and other non-risk alleles

beachbirdie

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

beachbirdie Contributor

Forgot to add, the gene test was the "Prometheus Genetics" which only looks for the DQ2 and DQ8.

beachbirdie

beachbirdie Contributor

Ugh. And one more question that I forgot!

If I have this gene, DQ2.2, what are the chances of my kids possibly getting genes from my husband that increase THEIR chances of having celiac? Given their symptoms, I'm still suspicious that my children might have this.

Thanks. Sorry if the multiple posts are a trouble.

beachbirdie

Archived