jenngolightly

Corn-Free Marshmallows?

Rate this topic

Does anyone know where to get cf marshmallows? Since there are now gluten-free Rice Krispies, I am aching for those delicious little squares! :P

Does anyone know where to get cf marshmallows? Since there are now gluten-free Rice Krispies, I am aching for those delicious little squares! :P

Check these out:

http://www.adventure...e-marshmallows/

While these are a little too ambitious for me. I would rather buy them already made...

Check these out:

While these are a little too ambitious for me. I would rather buy them already made...

I'm weird because I'm the opposite - I would never buy them but make them myself! They are divine in hot chocolate. :)

I'm weird because I'm the opposite - I would never buy them but make them myself! They are divine in hot chocolate. :)

Don't get me wrong I prefer home made stuff. I just don't like cooking beyond the basic food stuff for myself. I would love to cook for someone though and cook together.

You can still be opposite to me. :)

Don't get me wrong I prefer home made stuff. I just don't like cooking beyond the basic food stuff for myself. I would love to cook for someone though and cook together.

You can still be opposite to me. :)

There are a lot of guys who couldn't say they've had homemade marshmallows! Awesome. :)

I know what you mean about cooking for someone and cooking together. It would make a tremendous difference. When my husband is away my cooking sometimes gets a touch slacker. Cooking for someone else with love sure adds incentive!

Glad to have you here, BTW. I've been following your posts with interest. Welcome to our fascinating group! :)

Check these out:

Thanks for looking this up for me. :)

I don't mind making my own - due to multiple food issues, I'm in the kitchen all the time. But, sadly, this recipe calls for corn syrup and I'm looking for a corn-free marshmallow. Nevermind - I just read it more closely and saw that her "corn syrup" is mock corn syrup. I'll have to try this! :D

Try these: http://www.allerenergy.com/Shop.html

If you want to make them I am pretty sure the confectioners sugar at Trader Joe's is corn free.

:blink: choke...cough...gag...faint... almost $6 for a bag of marshmallows! I hope I can find a recipe and don't have to drop that much money just to make a batch of cookies that I'll eat in one sitting! But I'm happy to see that I can get some pre-made ones if I'm desperate. Thanks for the link!

The recipe calls for vanila....which is difficult/impossible to find corn free. I wonder if she realized this.

I am so excited to see that I will be able to have rice crispy treats this Christmas!!

The recipe calls for vanila....which is difficult/impossible to find corn free. I wonder if she realized this.

I am so excited to see that I will be able to have rice crispy treats this Christmas!!

You can make your own vanilla easily (it just takes vanilla beans, alcohol and time): http://glutenfreehomemaker.com/2008/09/make-your-own-vanilla-extract/

Thanks for the link! I keep meaning to make some...but I forget to pick up the alcohol. :)

Thanks for the link! I keep meaning to make some...but I forget to pick up the alcohol. :)

I always make my own - have done brandy, rum and vodka. Although I don't drink much at all, I love all three in vanilla.

I get my vanilla from Whole Foods. It's corn-free.

Our local Krogers didn't have the gluten-free Rice Krispees so I ordered it from the big A online store. They shipped pretty quickly and I got 4 boxes. Haven't tried them yet, though. I moved to my new house this weekend, so I'll have to unpack first.

Disaster - I made the corn-free marshmallows, which turned out so-so. But when I used them with the new gluten-free Rice Krispies, they flopped. The treats tasted stale and weren't crunchy at all. :(

Disaster - I made the corn-free marshmallows, which turned out so-so. But when I used them with the new gluten-free Rice Krispies, they flopped. The treats tasted stale and weren't crunchy at all. :(

Can you post the marshmallow recipe you used? This is one of the recipes I like (but it contains corn syrup):

http://www.saveur.com/article/Recipes/Chocolate-Marshmallows

Can you post the marshmallow recipe you used? This is one of the recipes I like (but it contains corn syrup):

I used the one that Richard linked to in Post #2. It calls for "corn syrup" and she links to a recipe for making corn-free "corn syrup" that you'll need to make before making the marshmallows.

Beware that the marshmallow recipe uses "gram" measurements. I had to go and buy a scale so I could do the recipe. That's okay - I needed a kitchen scale anyway. Bought the digital Biggest Loser one at BBB for $20. It was the cheapest one that weighed down to the 1 gm level - suitable for this recipe.

I think the problem for the Rice Krispie Treats was the marshmallows. They weren't the right consistency for the treats. I'll have to keep trying.

I used the one that Richard linked to in Post #2. It calls for "corn syrup" and she links to a recipe for making corn-free "corn syrup" that you'll need to make before making the marshmallows.

Beware that the marshmallow recipe uses "gram" measurements. I had to go and buy a scale so I could do the recipe. That's okay - I needed a kitchen scale anyway. Bought the digital Biggest Loser one at BBB for $20. It was the cheapest one that weighed down to the 1 gm level - suitable for this recipe.

I think the problem for the Rice Krispie Treats was the marshmallows. They weren't the right consistency for the treats. I'll have to keep trying.

I like to measure with a scale by volume, too.

So sorry that your treats did not turn out! On thinking about it again, I do not think that homemade marshmallows would necessarily work in this application BUT they are so worth making for hot chocolate, etc. Were they good to eat on their own?

I wonder if your marshmallow recipe would work with the corn-free "corn-syrup" recipe and substituting arrow-root for the corn starch? You wouldn't need as much arrow-root. It's not a 1-to-1 conversion. That may be worth a try.

Edited to add: if you use this corn-free "corn syrup" recipe, don't cook it to as high of temp as she suggests. She wants you to cook it to soft-ball stage. I went against my better judgment the first time and did that. The syrup was hard - not a liquid - after it cooled. The second time I made it, I didn't let it cook so long. However, I'm wondering if this was my Rice Krispie downfall. Was my ingredient too liquid-y and that's why the marshmallows and treats never "set"? I don't know how I could have used the corn-syrup in a soft-ball state, though... unless I microwaved it to make it a liquid.

I like to measure with a scale by volume, too.

So sorry that your treats did not turn out! On thinking about it again, I do not think that homemade marshmallows would necessarily work in this application BUT they are so worth making for hot chocolate, etc. Were they good to eat on their own?

I didn't get a chance to try them on their own because I needed all of them for the treats. However, my dd and I did get to lick the bowl as we were making them and they tasted just like the inside of a burnt toasted marshmallow - the gooey inside when you pull off the black crispy outside. Yummmm!

I didn't get a chance to try them on their own because I needed all of them for the treats. However, my dd and I did get to lick the bowl as we were making them and they tasted just like the inside of a burnt toasted marshmallow - the gooey inside when you pull off the black crispy outside. Yummmm!

Delicious! I can just taste that now. Some homemade marshmallows are like that; others are easy to cut into squares and are firmer yet airily light.

I wonder if they would turn out better with homemade Marshmallow Fluff instead of marshmallows? Here's a simple recipe I found:

http://www.cheeseslave.com/2010/12/26/how-to-make-marshmallow-fluff-without-corn-syrup/

I always make my own - have done brandy, rum and vodka. Although I don't drink much at all, I love all three in vanilla.

I think the corn-free alcohol list is short, but I do know potato vodka is safe (unless you have issues with nightshades). I haven't made my own yet, despite having purchased the potato vodka at the liquor store and Madagascar Bourbon vanilla beans from Amazon.