organicmama

Trial For Chronic Fatigue

Rate this topic

I'm not really sure if I am allergic, gluten sensitive, or not, with only the controversial IgG tests showing positives for gluten, wheat, and casein. I am doing a trial Gluten-free Casein-free diet to see if that works.

What should my expectations be regarding improvement? I have been on the diet since 5/10. I feel mildly better, but still often fatigued. I am only 33 years old. I am not sure when to expect improvement or assume that it's not gluten and casein. The doctors in my area are less than helpful and can offer little insight.

My daughter is 13, we've been gluten free for 10 weeks and she is now starting to feel better. (As are we all - even those of us who tested negative for celiac.) It takes a while. She is still fatigued and we found her Vitamin D level low on a recheck. And she's a kid! Keep going. If you're feeling mildly better now, you should continue to improve. :-)

Thanks for the reply. After reading about all of the potential side effects, I thought I'd finally found an answer to my unexplained neuro, autoimmune, and pain issues for the past nine years. Now after having been on the diet a month without significant improvement, I'm starting to be concerned that I'm not getting much but a placebo effect. The diet has not been hard for me though, so I will try to be hopeful and carry on.

Thanks for the reply. After reading about all of the potential side effects, I thought I'd finally found an answer to my unexplained neuro, autoimmune, and pain issues for the past nine years. Now after having been on the diet a month without significant improvement, I'm starting to be concerned that I'm not getting much but a placebo effect. The diet has not been hard for me though, so I will try to be hopeful and carry on.

Oh, it can take much much longer to feel better (not to discourage you). I had neuro problems and pain and I have been into this 9 months and am starting to see improvement.

Be good to yourself, take it one day at a time but the changes may not be quick. Patience is a virtue in this stupid celiac game. Everyone told me (the Dr's) that I should start to feel better in a few days but everyone is different.

I guess with so much advice to try for 2 wks, 4 wks, etc., you expect there to be a big change in that time.

i have been recovering (gluten-free) since july of last year and i STILL over-do it when i am feeling good! i can do more and more but some days i feel like i could take a nap for no apparent reason. reminding myself that i was misdiagnosed/doing damage for 25 years; it's going to take awhile for things to mend properly. and every month my period (not only does it sneak up on me - used to be a straight 28 day on the money never fail - now it is wildly irregular) knocks me *out.* so goodnight zzzzzzzzzzzzzz........

I don't have any insight about what to expect and when, as I have only been gluten-free since 6/3. I am young, like you (32 years old) diagnosed 6/2 with Celiac. My only symptoms are chronic fatigue and muscle pain, and I'm not sure when to expect to notice a difference, either. But I wanted to encourage you to hang in there! From what I have read on here, GI symptoms seems to resolve more quickly, but the overall blah feeling can take quite a while longer. I guess maybe that's because damage done to the small intestine takes time to heal, and then you need to start absorbing nutrients properly for a while before nutritional deficiencies are corrected. It makes sense that it would take some time, but I imagine it will be frustrating to not feel better after a while of this drastic diet/lifestyle change.

Hang in there!

Jenn