CNV2855

Has Anyone Achieved Remission Of A Secondary Ai Disease By Treating celiac disease?

Rate this topic

I have secondary Sjogren's to Celiac and it's ruining my life, and I'm only 25. I've been gluten-free for the last four years but I've been particularly bad about cross contamination and I just recently removed several food allergies that I know were bothering me.

Has anyone here had remission of a secondary autoimmune disease such as Scleroderma, Sjogrens, RA, or Lupus after treating Celiac disease with diet?

I need hope right now and I'm just really depressed because I'm young and this s$#& has ruined my life.

• Upvote 2

im sorry you're suffering so much. im also posting here, cause i'd like to be notified everytime someone replies to you. i have a friend with RA, she's 22, and im trying to find info on gluten free diets for her.

i also have Hashimoto's & Grave's, and can totally relate to feeling like its "ruining my life". i TOO am hoping that being gluten free will also alleviate my thyroid antibodies.

i also believe it's true that additional food intolerances can also aggravate our AI diseases.

my other friend has Anklosing Spondylitis-> and his doctor told him to avoid gluten and dairy. he's noticed that he feels better when he avoids them. when he cheats with the gluten, he gets a pressure behind his eyes-

i really hope you get a lot of responses on here... i forgot- i ALSO have 2 very good friends with MS, so i hope there are some testimonies below soon

hope u feel better :)

• Upvote 1

I have secondary Sjogren's to Celiac and it's ruining my life, and I'm only 25. I've been gluten-free for the last four years but I've been particularly bad about cross contamination and I just recently removed several food allergies that I know were bothering me.

Has anyone here had remission of a secondary autoimmune disease such as Scleroderma, Sjogrens, RA, or Lupus after treating Celiac disease with diet?

I need hope right now and I'm just really depressed because I'm young and this s$#& has ruined my life.

I, too, have Sjogren's Syndrome and it has gotten better but, unfortunately, it's my biggest problem which hasn't gotten better to the degree I would like it to. My eyes are still dry, although better than they were initially after diagnosis of the celiac disease. My teeth are now more stable from lack of saliva but a lot of work goes into that and I am in the process of having 3 implants done to replace the teeth that were trashed. Things will improve somewhat and you are young so there is hope. I am 52 and went many years with damage before I hit the wall so it's not going to improve to the point where my eyes feel normal again.

Are you being treated with Restasis eye drops? It works really well.

• Upvote 1

I recently had a positive ANA test, but at this point I am not sure what type of autoimmune disease I have. In addition to being gluten sensitive, I also tested positive for reactions to most other grains, including corn, rice, amaranth, quinoa, as well as dairy, chocolate, potatoes and coffee. Many of the foods that we eat as substitutes for gluten can cause the same reactions that gluten does. It might be worth checking to see if you have any cross reactions with other foods. I hope you start to feel better soon!

I recently had a positive ANA test, but at this point I am not sure what type of autoimmune disease I have. In addition to being gluten sensitive, I also tested positive for reactions to most other grains, including corn, rice, amaranth, quinoa, as well as dairy, chocolate, potatoes and coffee. Many of the foods that we eat as substitutes for gluten can cause the same reactions that gluten does. It might be worth checking to see if you have any cross reactions with other foods. I hope you start to feel better soon!

The ANA test is just a general test for inflammation in the body...it doesn't diagnose anything in particular. Celiac can cause a positive ANA alone.

I have 4 autoimmune diseases, total, and my ANA is always elevated but is slowly coming down the longer I am gluten-free. I don't worry about it as I feel pretty good right now.

The ANA test is just a general test for inflammation in the body...it doesn't diagnose anything in particular. Celiac can cause a positive ANA alone.

I have 4 autoimmune diseases, total, and my ANA is always elevated but is slowly coming down the longer I am gluten-free. I don't worry about it as I feel pretty good right now.

I agree,

My recent ANA came back moderately positive ( range= moderately positive 20-60 mine was 35)but showed negative for lupus. I have celiac's and hashimotos.

for me things kept getting worse UNTIL I eliminated secondary intolerances and allgerys . Once I did that my over all health improved drastically.Not a cure but it sure makes life a whole lot more enjoyable

((HUGS)) to you :)

• Upvote 2

I recently had a positive ANA test, but at this point I am not sure what type of autoimmune disease I have.

The ANA is a test for antinuclear antibodies which are associated with autoimmune diseases. It is a general test and can't tell you what autoimmune disease you have just that one is likely present. Not everyone with Celiac has a positive ANA so you may also have something else going on in addition to the celiac. Hopefully you will start feeling better soon.

Here is what the Mayo Clinic has to say about the test.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/ana-test/MY00787

Definition

By Mayo Clinic staff

An ANA test detects proteins called antinuclear antibodies in your blood. Your immune system normally makes antibodies to help you fight infection. The antibodies detected in an ANA test are different. They may attack your body's own tissues.

A positive ANA test indicates that your immune system has launched a misdirected attack on your own healthy tissue

i hope you feel better and get relief. one AI is one too many multiple ones are horrible. i agree with the other poster other food allergies seem to flair up the AIs. i understand what you are saying about being depressed and frustrated and having AIs ruin your life. i do not mind having a special diet, but I want to feel better. that is discouraging that you have been gluten-free for 4 years and are still so miserable. hopefully, eliminating the other allergens will help. best wishes!

• Upvote 1