This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Creeping Celiac

ERR

ERR Apprentice

I got diagnosed three years ago. I went on a raw foods kick and felt great. But over the past few years I have gotten less and less conservative. I would eat a salad dressing without checking. Maybe eat a chicken breast with an unidentified marinade. Now I never got the GI symptoms of Celiac. But slowly, inch by inch, I regressed. Recently I realized I was tired all the time. I was going to bed at 9 pm again. I was seeing the world through an angry haze. And I realized that I had slipped all the way back to where I was before my diagnosis.

Has anyone else had a similar experience? I am wondering about the experiences of others who do not get the stomach signs of glutening. I am realizing how insidious this disease can be when its symptoms are not clear.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mushroom Proficient

I suppose it is harder to follow a celiac diet when you have no overt evidence of harm when you stray. Nonetheless, you will be harming your body and risking the same consequences (minus the GI symptoms) as the rest of us have. You really must be strict with the diet - I think you know this - it will just take a little more willpower than for those who know immediately they have been glutened. In fact, it is even more important for you to check the ingredients, as you have found out, because no buzzer will sound or warning lights go off if you consume gluten. I know you didn't want and probably don't need a lecture :P but consider it just a little reinforcement :D

ERR Apprentice

No I probably need the lecture. For me, the question is, "just how sensitive am I?" I've been telling people for the past few years that I was one of the lucky ones who just has to avoid bread, or flour, but cross contamination is no big deal. I'm re-thinking that now. Vigilance.

RacerX35 Rookie

Hello,

I'm new here and not celiac, just gluten sensitive.I've been going gluten free for about a year now and unfortunately find out the hard way if I have strayed or accidently eaten something with gluten in it. I have siezures usually within about 1.5 to 2 hours after. Not good if I'm driving. I do always read labels and warnings. My wife helps out by making all our pastas and the sort gluten free. This last few days I was out of town on business and she was telling me the joy of her and our kids eating all gluten. I believe that we all get more senistive over time. Of course I've omly been gluten free for almost a year now. It used to be that I could eat the cheese off the pizza and not notice anything. Now I tried to eat a pepperoni off the top of the cheese one night and was having siezures the first part of the following day. Could've been having them in my sleep too, since I had that one pepperoni just before going to sleep. When I go get burgers, I go to In-N-Out burgers. The only thing they fry in french fries made from the whole potato and "protien" style burger (Lettuce wrap). Vigilance is best I suppose. :)

Later,

Ray

GFinDC Veteran

You could get your antibodie levels rechecked to see if they are elevated. IF they are you will know you have a problem. Symptoms or not. Kind of an expensive way to monitor your diet tho.

TexasJenn Newbie

No I probably need the lecture. For me, the question is, "just how sensitive am I?" I've been telling people for the past few years that I was one of the lucky ones who just has to avoid bread, or flour, but cross contamination is no big deal. I'm re-thinking that now. Vigilance.

My mother could have written this (as well as your original post), as I've heard her make these exact comments many times. She is one of the "lucky ones" (as am I) who don't have the GI symptoms so she thinks she is less sensitive and doesn't have to be as careful about cross contamination. After being diagnosed four years ago, she has reverted back to being tired and sore all of the time. After seeing her be less viligent, it would be easy for me to follow in her footsteps (I was just diagnosed with celiac last month), but I don't want to make light of it only to feel terrible again like she is. I am going to take her with me to the intro GIG meeting so I can learn more and she can have the refresher. The one thing that I keep reminding myself is that even if I don't FEEL the effects of being glutened, it is still wreaking havoc on my body, and increasing my risks for other certain autoimmune diseases, cancers, etc, and I not only want to feel good, but I want to truly be healthy, too. I have a husband and kids that I want to be around for for a long, long time! :)

I hope you start feeling better again soon!

Jenn

domesticactivist Collaborator

There is no such thing as "less sensitive" with celiac. If your body is making antibodies against itself, there is damage being done whether you perceive it at the time or not!

It's easy to let things slide. It's good you've realized that there are consequences, even if they are more subtle.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived