TamRae

Hello From Dallas, Texas!

Rate this topic

Hello everyone! I have been here for over a week, just reading. I have learned a lot from you all but still have so much to learn. It is so difficult to walk out of the doctors office with a sticky note that says "Celiac Disiese" on it and the words of the doctor ringing in my ears, "Gluten Free." To be honest, two weeks ago, I had no idea what gluten was.

I am making my way through one day, or actually, one meal at a time.

My daughters surprised me the day after my diagnosis with bags of gluten free foods. They went to the grocery store and spent almost two hours there. They were reading labels! I am blessed.

Well, thank you everyone for being willing to share your knowledge and experiences.

Welcome, TamRay! You'll find everything gets easier after awhile. While the diet seems daunting at first, it doesn't take long to major in Label Reading 101 and navigate our way through the grocery store. It's a lot easier right away to concentrate on a whole foods diet (fresh fruits, veggies, meats, etc.)

And read, read, read. There's a wealth of info on this forum. And don't be afraid to ask any questions you may have.

Hi TamRae! It is a bit daunting at first, but you'll get the hang of it. As Sylvia says, there is a wealth of information on here and no one "gets it" quite like another who walks this path.

A few good sources of info for "newbies " I found helpful were:

Living Gluten Free for Dummies by Danna Korn

and Celiac Disease the First Year by Jules Shepherd

and the helpful people right here on this forum! :)

Best wishes and welcome!

Welcome! DFW is great city to live in and be Gluten Free!! It gets better!!