Juliebove

Mozzarella Sticks

Rate this topic

I don't think my daughter has ever had mozzarella sticks so I would like to make some for her. But they have to have no egg because I am allergic. Would be nice if they could be baked as well. Any ideas? Thanks!

I don't think my daughter has ever had mozzarella sticks so I would like to make some for her. But they have to have no egg because I am allergic. Would be nice if they could be baked as well. Any ideas? Thanks!

If the cheese had moisture on it when you take it out of the package you shouldn't need anything for the breading to stick and if it is lacking some moisture you could use a little bit of water. You could use anything you wanted for the breading that can be made crumbly and for cooking I always put the breaded food in a frying pan(with a touch of olive oil if it is not nonstick) and let it crisp up for about ten minutes and then transfer to a greased baking sheet and bake at 350 til it is finished. For mozzarella sticks I think it is about another 10-15 min. Hope that helps.

Just a tip - it is far easier to bake mozzarella sticks if they are very cold/almost frozen first to decrease the chances of melting into a big mess. I've made fab mozzarella sticks using just buttermilk rather than egg. You can then use all sorts of crumb mixtures.