Marilyn R

I Think I've Made The Transition

Rate this topic

Today I was hurrying down to a grocery store in a strip shopping center. I smelled something offensive, sort of like old dog poo. I looked around on the ground, then looked up to my left. I was coming up on a chain submarine sandwich restaurant. They were baking wheat bread.

I used to be sad when I smelled wheat baking. :D

Anybody else gluten-free for awhile with similar reactions?

• Upvote 1

Today I was hurrying down to a grocery store in a strip shopping center. I smelled something offensive, sort of like old dog poo. I looked around on the ground, then looked up to my left. I was coming up on a chain submarine sandwich restaurant. They were baking wheat bread.

I used to be sad when I smelled wheat baking. :D

Anybody else gluten-free for awhile with similar reactions?

I was so sick at diagnosis that within 3 days of going gluten-free, anything being cooked using wheat smelled bad to me so I understand what you are saying exactly! The grossest smell of all? Dunkin' Donuts when they are making the donuts! I would rather inhale nuclear waste. :ph34r:

I can't imagine how people eat that crap!

• Upvote 1

The smell of fresh baked bread or cake, like at a bakery, makes me instantly gut-clenchingly nauseous. It's hard not to throw up if I can't get away fast enough. Bleh. It doesn't smell bad, but it makes me sick to smell it.

It's funny, too, because I never cheated, so I never had any experience of eating that food associated with feeling sick. And the first time it happened, I smelled it, had a moment of 'man, that smells good,' and THEN the nausea hit. :blink: Weird.

• Upvote 1

Oh my, yes! Bakeries (why do they always put these right at the entrance/exit of shopping complexes?! Well..it's obvious, of course..) and the bread aisle in supermarkets smell so bad. My diet before finding out about gluten & other intolerances was 80% gluten products, mainly bread. Now, it's not appealing at all.

• Upvote 1

Auntie Anne's Pretzels makes me instantly sick...

Unfortunately (good) bakeries still smell yummy to me (i.e. in Italy). However, I have less sadness associated with the products than I used to which is a good thing!