color_me_confused

Reading My Pathology Report...

Rate this topic

A doctor for one of my kids, upon hearing of my positive biopsy/negative bloodwork test results suggested I seek a 2nd opinion for the celiac diagnosis. I got ahold of my pathology report and it's interesting stuff. "intraepithelial lymphocytosis especially near the villious tips" which suggests treated or clinically latent celiac sprue, NSAID use, h. pylori infection, lymphocytic colitis, and systemic autoimmune disease. The stomach biopsy showed zero h. pylori infection. I gotta say everything on this list is pretty easily ruled out. Then there was my long list of health improvements due to eating gluten-free and the harsh side effects of mild gluten exposure that really pointed my gastro towards celiac disease. I also tested for osteopania in my hip (weird in a male in his 30's!), low vit D, and low potassium.

I have a followup biopsy occurring soon to see if the inflammation has reduced on the gluten-free diet. I tested positive for the DQ8 gene and my father had diseases related to celiac (type 1 diabetes, fatal gallbladder cancer) along with lifelong digestive trouble. What's the chance that I'm merely gluten sensitive, and not actually a member of the celiac club? I suppose a 2nd opinion can't hurt but I won't do anything til after the upper GI.

Hi colorme,

To answer your question, zero.

You have celiac disease with a confirmed biopsy. I can't think of a single reason to go for the upper GI unless you're concerned about ulcers or GERD. The doctor that suggested you get a second opinion doesn't have a clue about celiac disease.

Unfortunately, that's fairly common.

• Upvote 1

Most of us have had internal issues for some time and perhaps many years. And endoscopy and colonoscopy, in my opinion, would be wise.

I'm not quite sure where your pathology report stops and you comments begin. But, you might look into NSAID sensitivity or over use. Some people can't handle it....interesting stuff, though. :)

Most of us have had internal issues for some time and perhaps many years. And endoscopy and colonoscopy, in my opinion, would be wise.

I'm not quite sure where your pathology report stops and you comments begin. But, you might look into NSAID sensitivity or over use. Some people can't handle it....interesting stuff, though. :)

I rarely take NSAIDs any more than one dose in a day, hardly more than once or twice a month for occasional back pain. I believe that intestinal damage from them is usually seen in people taking large quantities regularly for things like arthritis.

I'm in the position of "if it walks like a duck, talks like a duck...", you know? I suppose the alternative would be going back on gluten, suffering, and waiting to get sick enough (or become diabetic?!) to get a 100% positive biopsy and blood test. No thanks!!

I rarely take NSAIDs any more than one dose in a day, hardly more than once or twice a month for occasional back pain. I believe that intestinal damage from them is usually seen in people taking large quantities regularly for things like arthritis.

I'm in the position of "if it walks like a duck, talks like a duck...", you know? I suppose the alternative would be going back on gluten, suffering, and waiting to get sick enough (or become diabetic?!) to get a 100% positive biopsy and blood test. No thanks!!

But...you did get a positive biopsy. You might want a follow- up one to see if all is healing well.

• Upvote 1