This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Allergies Are Rampant....

gem75

gem75 Rookie

Let me start off by saying a little over month ago blood tests confirmed i was hypo (hashi's too).

At this point i stopped eatting gluten because i was told not ingesting gluten could help reduce the antibodies etc.

I've been gluten-free for over a month. DOing well, i think.

I was also put on Armour when blood tests showed hypo.

I have adrenal fatigue. I'm working to get adreanals in a working condition. I'm taking iso cort, sea salt, complex b vit, Iro, Vit C, Vit D (50,000 a week) digestive enzymes, pro biotic....

I recently got results back for food allergies. My results said i am reactive to dairy, goat and cows milk, eggs, cheese ,yeast(bakers and brewers) wheat, tomatoes, papaya.... i learned from my thyroid / adrenal forum that i might have a histamine imtolerance.

When i got results i decided i was going to eliminate all these foods and then slowly bring them back. Well two days into it and i was sooo depressed and soooo hungry. I literally can't eat anything... i mean i can but...

So i decided i was pissed and went grocery shopping friday and bought tomatoes in large quantaties;) i bought salsa and cheese too. Friday i ate salsa and chocolate. Satuday we went out to lunch and i had chilli and fries with cheese. I felt awful all satuday, awful (bloated, constipated and mushy poo, a bad pain that went from right side of back to front, a pain in right ovary). Awful enough that i decided i couldn't eat tomatoes and cheese. Yesterday i felt much better. I did however have some shredded sharp cheese and still felt fine. I even had a small amount of tomatoes at dinner. The only side effect i'm having, is horrible post nasal drip. I suffer chronic sinus infections and since going gluten-free my sinuses have been at bay. They flared up abut 3 days ago.

My question, among many, is flaring up sinus and post nasal drip a possible gluten reaction? does anyone have any insight as to what is going on?

my life has become so difficult having all these allergies, as we all know, first it was gluten and now it's everything else beside gluten.

is there a link between hypo thyroid causing all this BS, or is it the gluten intolernace that cause the hypo/adrenals and all these other allergies? or is there no link at all??

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ravenwoodglass Mentor

is it the gluten intolernace that cause the hypo/adrenals and all these other allergies? or is there no link at all??

I can't say it is the same for you but for me undiagnosed celiac was linked to a lot of my allergies. When I had testing done, skin prick, I showed as allergic to everything but one item and that was beech trees. After I had been gluten free for a few months only 3 true allergies remained out of the 98 that were positive. My allergist said my immune system was in 'hyperdrive' (his term) and was reacting to not just everything that I came into contact with but also attacking me. Hopefully after your system calms down gluten free there will be more that you can tolerate. Take it slow adding things back in and only add in one item at a time for a week. If after that week you haven't had a reaction you can likely tolerate that item and can move on to another. I hope you heal quickly but do try and be patient. It took a while for you to get as sick as you were and it will unfortunately take some time to heal also.

Brenna'sMom Newbie

My dd's celiac was diagnosed completely by accident. We were referred to an allergist because of severe seasonal allergy symptoms that weren't responding to treatment, including steroids. On the day of her appointment, her asthma was so bad, we almost ended up in the ER. As a result, the allergist would only do blood work that day, no skin testing. He ordered everything he possibly could, including a "let's just rule it out" celiac panel. Her tTG was 275! :o She also tested positive (via bloodwork) to yeast, peanuts, tomatoes, potatoes, milk, eggs, wheat, and barley. We immediately went gluten free. One month later, when she was skin tested, she came back positive only to peanuts and wheat (she's never had barley). After one month on the gluten-free diet, she was off all allergy and asthma meds, and has had absolutely NO allergy symptoms since. My own seasonal allergy and asthma symptoms have gone away since going gluten free, as well.

gem75 Rookie

thanks for replying guys.

Breanna-- your story is inspirational and I hope I follow in the same steps as your daughter.

I also tested positive for IgG , i think the number was 32. What exactly does that number mean to me?

I've always suffered sinus infection and nasal drip but i swear it has been the worst the last 1 1/2- 2 years which is coincidentally (or not) when i started gaining weight and establishing a lot of hypo symptoms. I think i went undiagnosed for 1 1/2 -2 years. The drs said they were testing my thyroid but i don't think they were testing the all the correct 'things'. So i would imagine letting this illness go for that long could be why things are now SO bad.

I just feel like an alien these days. It seems the only people who understand are people on the internet. No one in my real life is dealing with all the BS i am. I feel isolated and everytime i think i'm getting better something else pops up.

StephanieL Enthusiast

That's a lot! I assume you are speaking of IgG or IgA allergies, correct? These are more intolerances as compared to "true" (meaning possibly life threatening). The good news is that once the gut heals these often go away! I would think the probiotic and healing yourself with a gluten-free diet will help a lot! I say keep those things out and add them slowly. Again, that is if they are non-IgE allergies!

Good luck!

Juliebove Rising Star

Who diagnosed this? I mean what kind of Dr.? My daughter and I have IgG allergies but I don't know what IgG of 32 means. What is it in relation to?

Takala Enthusiast

You will need to be absolutely sure that everything that goes into your mouth, including prescriptions, over the counter meds, and supplements, are gluten free as well.

Only a month is not that long yet to be gluten free- why don't you try giving up the dairy for a while, then re introducing it in the form of cheese without lactose, after a few months, and see how it goes, as gluten damage affects the ability to process it. Sinus drip goes along with consuming dairy products big time.

Now, to replace the dairy, you will need to find some things that are very good- have you tried coconut milk ? It's very creamy, rich, and high fat, and perfect for coffee, tea, and various things like puddings.... also, there is commercial coconut milk ice cream available now. To cook with, you can use coconut oil, and also you can put extra virgin olive oil on bread instead of butter. Nuts can be used to replace cheeses, also there are gluten free, dairy free cheese substitutes.

Pumpkin puree can be used with meat, beans, and chilies to make a killer chile. It also makes a great soup base, especially when mixed with a bit of other juice and some curry, cumin, and peanut butter and cooked chicken.

You may be trying to avoid fat, thinking not wanting to gain weight, but.... if you try eating a high carb diet, you are going to puff up like a balloon anyway and be hungry all the time.

The yeast avoidance is no big deal as long as you can get comfortable with making your own quick breads, using pure apple cider vinegar or lemon juice and baking soda for the leavening. Ditto you can replace eggs in baking with either extra leavening, gums such as guar or xanthan, or ground flax seed dissolved in hot water, or chia seed soaked in reg. temp water, to make a "gel." There is also commercial egg replacer powdered mixes, but it's mostly baking powders $ in a box. Certain type of gluten free flours/seeds/nutmeals work better for this than other types, such as buckwheat, almond, amaranth, garbanzo added to the mixtures. Quick breads can be made as pancakes, flatbreads, mini loaves, microwave bun in a cups, or small cast iron skillet breads using the same technique for a traditional cornbread (almond amaranth sorghum with some sort of sweetener tastes very similar) starting with a pre heated, hot pan with oil in it. If you can get a fresh, hot bread from kitchen counter to plate in 10 minutes, including grinding the nuts or kasha kernels, you won't be hungry.

Recipes without yeast:

eggless pancake or flatbread recipe in this thread - yes, this works!

bun in a bowl, microwaved

you can make this without egg, using egg substitutes. You can use the gluten-free flours in the pancake recipe above and it works, or add or sub some almond meal, or use a little bit of gum, or some soaked chia seed

skillet quick bread with almond, sorghum, amaranth (on this thread, scroll down) can be made without egg, if you add chia or flax gel, or gum, or use the mixture of almond, buckwheat, amaranth, garbanzo, potato -

eggless mini bread loaf- Gluten free, yeast free ( I did this as an experiment, and was so surprised by it, and how my glutenoid spouse keeps eating the darned stuff when he doesn't have to, I keep making it again and again.)

If you cannot find buckwheat flour you can grind kasha in a coffee grinder. Nuts can be ground in a blender.

If you want to search for more recipes, try googling "gluten free vegan yeast free name of item you want to make" and it should give you more eggless recipes.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Fairy Dancer Contributor

I seem to be getting what appear to be allergic reactions to things lately. I took wheat, gluten and processed foods out of my diet for 5 days. On eating weetabix again I vomited, bloated, had stomach pain, and felt dizzy and really ill (like I had a major hang over). I also had similar symptoms (minus the vomiting) when eating bread, so after a few days I took them back out again and the symptoms subsided. However yesterday I ate some gravy mix on a pork dinner and the symptoms have returned, this time with a rash (clusters of small red spots all over my abdomen) which has now faded but I woke up this morning feeling like I have a hang over from hell and the soft rancid smelling stools have returned as well.

I have checked the pork for signs that its off but it smells fine and tastes fine (tastes darn nice actually lol, as I have just been picking at cold left overs minus the gravy mix and thus far the rash has not returned nor have I vomited lol) so I am still blaming the gravy mix!

I am not diagnosed with celiac disease as I only went for blood tests yesterday morning but I have been off wheat and gluten for a few weeks anyway as I am sure my symptoms are being triggered by a food I am eating. I did try and put wheat and gluten back in for the test but was getting such a strong reaction in terms of the above symptoms that I couldn't eat it and pulled it back out again. I suspect an allergy though, so I may ask for allergy testing at some point. My symptoms, to my mind, suggest I am getting an allergic reaction...especially if I am going to start getting rashes on reintroducing certain foods back into my diet.

The question is what the allergy is from? My reaction to wheatabix would suggest a wheat issue but the gravy mix I used had no wheat ingredients. It was however produced on a production line that handles wheat (it was bisto best) so at the moment I cant tell whether it was cross contamination or something else in the ingredients list!

Gah, I need an allergy test lol.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

I suspect an allergy though, so I may ask for allergy testing at some point. My symptoms, to my mind, suggest I am getting an allergic reaction...especially if I am going to start getting rashes on reintroducing certain foods back into my diet.

We can have both celiac and true allergies. Your symptoms from the gravy are not unusual for a celiac reaction. Not a bad idea to get allergy testing as well but don't rule out celiac if the blood work comes back negative since you had already dropped gluten before testing.

Fairy Dancer Contributor

We can have both celiac and true allergies. Your symptoms from the gravy are not unusual for a celiac reaction. Not a bad idea to get allergy testing as well but don't rule out celiac if the blood work comes back negative since you had already dropped gluten before testing.

I was wondering if being mostly gluten and wheat free for a couple of weeks or so before doing the test would affect the result. The reason I asked for celiac testing with my dr is because I have a brother with it, so when I started getting what appear to be food related symptoms that was one of the first things to come to mind.

I did try to put wheat etc back in my diet for the test but I got such vile symptoms after eating it I gave up and took it back out again. So out of the two weeks most of them were spent on a whole food diet with no processed foods gluten or wheat products and about 5 of them eating wheat or gluten or processed foods before I pulled it out again as twice in row I had bad reactions on eating it. 3 times now with the gravy lol. 1 reaction I thought could be a one off, two is a bit more than I like, 3 is starting to indicate an issue lol.

My reaction to wheat etc also seems to have been worse since removing it and then putting it back in again. The response seems to be amplified compared to what it was when I was eating it every day. Back then I was getting ongoing chronic symptoms but which were lower in intensity.

If I stick to meat, fish and fruits, veg and nuts I seem to be ok. I also seem to be ok with live yoghurt so have kept dairy in for now.

Bubba's Mom Enthusiast

Fairy Dancer...it really sounds like you have Celiac, or at least a very strong intollerance? Whetever the blood tests show it would be good for you to keep it out of your diet.

I've been thinking I have an additional problem with soy because I've been gluten-free for about 4 weeks and recently have started to get severe dizziness for no apparent reason. In my case..it might be that I'm getting cc? My reacttions to gluten now are much more intense!

I went from eating gluten every day to now being so sensitive that I can't handle glutem items like dog biscuits.

Good luck to you..I hope you get some answers.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

I was wondering if being mostly gluten and wheat free for a couple of weeks or so before doing the test would affect the result. The reason I asked for celiac testing with my dr is because I have a brother with it, so when I started getting what appear to be food related symptoms that was one of the first things to come to mind.

I did try to put wheat etc back in my diet for the test but I got such vile symptoms after eating it I gave up and took it back out again. So out of the two weeks most of them were spent on a whole food diet with no processed foods gluten or wheat products and about 5 of them eating wheat or gluten or processed foods before I pulled it out again as twice in row I had bad reactions on eating it. 3 times now with the gravy lol. 1 reaction I thought could be a one off, two is a bit more than I like, 3 is starting to indicate an issue lol.

My reaction to wheat etc also seems to have been worse since removing it and then putting it back in again. The response seems to be amplified compared to what it was when I was eating it every day. Back then I was getting ongoing chronic symptoms but which were lower in intensity.

If I stick to meat, fish and fruits, veg and nuts I seem to be ok. I also seem to be ok with live yoghurt so have kept dairy in for now.

Yes your being gluten free before testing can affect the results of the test. Since you have a family member diagnosed with celiac it is quite likely with your symptoms that you do have it also. It is common for celiacs to react more strongly to gluten after removing it from their diet. It is the bodies way of protecting you. IMHO no matter what the test results you do need to be gluten free.

gem75 Rookie

That's a lot! I assume you are speaking of IgG or IgA allergies, correct? These are more intolerances as compared to "true" (meaning possibly life threatening). The good news is that once the gut heals these often go away! I would think the probiotic and healing yourself with a gluten-free diet will help a lot! I say keep those things out and add them slowly. Again, that is if they are non-IgE allergies!

Good luck!

hi stphanieL i'll write exactly what my piece of paper says.

IgG and IgA gluten antibody Assay.

ELISA key -- scoring and evaluation

IgG and IgA

your test results are positive

IgG ELISA test 32 units moderate to strong positive >30 units

IgA ELISA test 13 units negative

StephanieL Enthusiast

IgG and IgA

Okay, so those are markers for non-ana reaction! That's a good thing!!! I would look into "gut healing" as it sounds like you are and keep up with that for a while! Chances are that improving the gut will eliminate most if not all the intolerances!

I have never tried it or looked into it heavily but I think the GAPS diet may be something to look into.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

IgG and IgA

The IgG test for celiac antibodies was positive. You may want to ask your doctor for a total IGA but with the IgG being positive it appears you need to be gluten free.

gem75 Rookie

The IgG test for celiac antibodies was positive. You may want to ask your doctor for a total IGA but with the IgG being positive it appears you need to be gluten free.

i took the test that i posted above, then about a week being gluten-free i had my gyny test for celiac (i didn't realize the food allergy w/ above results was testing celaic etc) so the test from the gyny , after being gluten-free for 5 or so days, came back negative...

what should i do now??? i plan to stay gluten-free? but any other tests etc?

gem75 Rookie

Okay, so those are markers for non-ana reaction! That's a good thing!!! I would look into "gut healing" as it sounds like you are and keep up with that for a while! Chances are that improving the gut will eliminate most if not all the intolerances!

I have never tried it or looked into it heavily but I think the GAPS diet may be something to look into.

I don't know what 'markers for non-ana reaction' means...

Fairy Dancer Contributor

Fairy Dancer...it really sounds like you have Celiac, or at least a very strong intollerance? Whetever the blood tests show it would be good for you to keep it out of your diet.

I've been thinking I have an additional problem with soy because I've been gluten-free for about 4 weeks and recently have started to get severe dizziness for no apparent reason. In my case..it might be that I'm getting cc? My reacttions to gluten now are much more intense!

I went from eating gluten every day to now being so sensitive that I can't handle glutem items like dog biscuits.

Good luck to you..I hope you get some answers.

I had blood tests taken on monday for a variety of things. The drs surgery rang me this morning to say the results were back and to book an appointment to see my gp as my dr has requested to see me but they would not give me the results of the tests over the phone! So I am still none the wiser until I see my gp! Gah. The curiosity...

He requested a routine appointment and one has been made for early next week so it can't be anything horribly serious or he would have wanted to see me straight away. So I figure either they are normal or there is a slight anomaly but nothing too horrible. I am not sure what exactly he tested for although he did say he was going to test for celiac disease, thyroid function and diabetes. I meant to ask about allergy testing but forgot lol. I may ask when I see him depending on the results etc.

The last time I had similar tests (minus the one for celiac disease as I did not request it at that time or mention that I had a family member with it) some 5 years ago for similar symptoms they all came back normal except for a slightly elevated white cell count which they thought was viral initially. After 6 months when the symptoms had not gone they didn't repeat the tests as they said a virus does not last that long, looked at my records, saw that I had had episodes of depression and told me it was that (even though my mood was not low at that time and I had not lost interest in my hobbies etc...I was just feeling ill basically lol). The stomach issues were passed off as IBS but no investigations were done (ie i have never had a endoscopy or stool sample taken etc).I am loathe to accept an IBS diagnosis without any kind of investigation to rule other things out.

It seems to me that with an elevated white cell count my immune system is reacting to something. If it's still elevated this time (as this is the first blood test I have had in 5 years since the last one) I want further investigation lol.

As I have a history of anxiety and depression they tend to blame that yet I don't have many of the symptoms of anxiety or depression at the moment..ie I am not feeling tearful, hopeless, useless etc, I have not lost interest in my hobbies, I am not worrying excessively, I am not getting any sleep disturbance (am sleeping fine), am having no problems relaxing lol and so on. That diagnosis does not fit just because I had an episode of anxiety and depression due to real life problems x number of years ago.

Anyway, I hope you get your issues resolved. I am still wondering if I have issues with other foods myself as it seems anything processed seems to set me off even if it says 'no gluten ingredient's on the label lol. Either that or I am wondering about CC. The only processed foods I have eaten recently that didn't seem to trigger a reaction was some live yoghurt, haagen dazs icecream (belgian chocolate flavour) and some gluten free pitta breads I ate.

gem75 Rookie

ok so this is bizzare'ish. I was at a b-day party last night and there was pizza served. I was starving (shaky) and not prepared. I ate the pizza. I ate it because , well, I love pizza, but i also ate it to see my reaction to it. I have had no reaction yet.

I still plan to be gluten-free.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

ok so this is bizzare'ish. I was at a b-day party last night and there was pizza served. I was starving (shaky) and not prepared. I ate the pizza. I ate it because , well, I love pizza, but i also ate it to see my reaction to it. I have had no reaction yet.

I still plan to be gluten-free.

For some of us the reaction is delayed. When I did my elimination diet and added wheat back in it was 3 days before I had any GI distress. My Dr at the time said that was not unusual. Not saying for sure that you are going to react but just wanted you to be prepared in case the reaction is delayed.

gem75 Rookie

For some of us the reaction is delayed. When I did my elimination diet and added wheat back in it was 3 days before I had any GI distress. My Dr at the time said that was not unusual. Not saying for sure that you are going to react but just wanted you to be prepared in case the reaction is delayed.

thanks. I have a headache today , so not sure this is the beginning of it...

Archived