nmlove

Chewable Calcium Supplement For Kids

Rate this topic

My son needs to take a chewable calcium supplement per his endocrinologist (he's six so no pill swallowing yet). He mentioned Carlson's chewable calcium. Yet when I looked at reviews, parents said it was chalky and tough to chew and the kids didn't like them. Anyone have a supplement their kids like? He suggested 250mg x 4/day. Thanks for any help!

Viactiv chocolate taste pretty good. They are 500 mg but maybe you could cut them in half? The website says they are gluten-free.

My girls are both super sensitive and they do really well with L'il Critters Calcium Gummy Bears with Vitamin D. "Contains no wheat (gluten), milk, eggs, peanuts, tree nuts, or soy"

http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/l%27il-critters-assorted-flavors-calcium-with-vitamin-d-dietary-supplement-gummy-bears/ID=prod6038664-product

My DD takes lil critters as well. She is not crazy about the taste but she takes it. The Endocrinologist had suggested Tums but she hated the chalkiness. Some kids like it/some don't. The flavors are fruity or you can try mint if your kid likes mint. Tums has lots of calcium & is safe. There are other chews too that are chocolate flavored. DD didn't like them. Just look around you'll find something for your child. In the meantime if he can have diary try to increase his milk, yogurt, ice cream intake & some orange juices have calcium like tropicana. good luck!

Thanks for the replies! I'm going to try him on the Carlson for Kids. I take a chewable wafer and though it is chalky (like a Tums) I love the flavor. I think he'd be ok with the texture if the flavor is yummy like mine. I completely forgot about Tums having calcium! He can eat dairy but his intake is so irregular(milk daily on cereal but otherwise, sometimes he likes it and sometimes he doesn't) so a supplement is a good idea.