Easterner

Thyroid Problems

Rate this topic

Hello, I'm new here.

I have nieces and a sister with celiac and gluten intolerance; they are living gluten free. I have other relatives with gluten intolerance symptoms but who have not been diagnosed.

Hypothyroidism is also common in my family. I have had blood tests that show no problems with Hashi's antibodies---I have just "plain" hyothyroidism.

Has anyone here gotten at least some improvement in your hypothyroid symptoms after going gluten free?

I can't take typical thyroid meds because I get side effects. I have tried all kinds of accepted medical protocols to my hypothyroidism under control. Nothing has worked. Now I'm thinking I should try to live gluten free---and that may help clear up some of the sluggishnedd of my throid/

Can anyone offer advice or insight or person experience with hypothyrodism and going gluten free?

Thanks, I appreciate it!

Hello, I'm new here.

I have nieces and a sister with celiac and gluten intolerance; they are living gluten free. I have other relatives with gluten intolerance symptoms but who have not been diagnosed.

Hypothyroidism is also common in my family. I have had blood tests that show no problems with Hashi's antibodies---I have just "plain" hyothyroidism.

Has anyone here gotten at least some improvement in your hypothyroid symptoms after going gluten free?

I can't take typical thyroid meds because I get side effects. I have tried all kinds of accepted medical protocols to my hypothyroidism under control. Nothing has worked. Now I'm thinking I should try to live gluten free---and that may help clear up some of the sluggishnedd of my throid/

Can anyone offer advice or insight or person experience with hypothyrodism and going gluten free?

Thanks, I appreciate it!

I don't know whether the gluten-free diet decreased my hypothyroid symptoms, because I was diagnosed with celiac (and went gluten-free) 6 years before I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's. However, my Hashi's antibodies decreased after taking low dose naltrexone (LDN) for impaired immunity (low neutrophils).

What thyroid meds have you tried? T4 supplements only (actually Levoxyl) didn't resolve my hypo symptoms, because I (like many others) don't easily convert T4 to T3. So I need a T3 supplement (liothyronine), which I take twice daily, because T3 has a short half-life.