This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

The Many Issues That Have Come Up

MacheHill

MacheHill Newbie

I was diagnosed with celiac disease about four years ago and was diagnosed with fibromyalgia about two years ago. I recently just had a sleep study done (because of sleep problems and exhaustion) and found out I have sleep apnea and TMJ. I was just wondering if anyone else has been diagnosed with the problems along with celiac as well. I'm about at my wits end.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

love2travel Mentor

I was diagnosed with celiac disease about four years ago and was diagnosed with fibromyalgia about two years ago. I recently just had a sleep study done (because of sleep problems and exhaustion) and found out I have sleep apnea and TMJ. I was just wondering if anyone else has been diagnosed with the problems along with celiac as well. I'm about at my wits end.

Oh, I am so sorry you have to go through all this. I can relate. I was very healthy (or at leaest FELT) healthy up until 3 1/2 years ago when I was involved in an accident causing herniated discs and so on. Then I was diagnosed with IT band syndrome, degenerative disc disease, osteoarthritis and celiac disease followed by fibromyalgia. Add to the mix insomnia due to chronic pain. At my sleep study I was not even able to fall asleep at all. Insomnia really is horrible and exacerbates pain so much. Part of me is almost wondering, what next? My husband used to have a healthy wife; now I am a wife who is always in pain which really hurts both of us. Like you I also have TMJ. It just does not seem to end, I know, but there is always hope. I used to dwell on my pain and allow it to rule my life.

Whilst it is difficult for me to manage my pain (well, alright, impossible) I cope with it better than I used to. A wise chiropractor told me all about hurt versus harm. Yes, we really hurt but doing daily activities (other than obvious lifting, bending, twisting...) usually does not cause harm. I am thankful for that. He also told me I had fear avoidance which is allowing pain to prevent you from doing things and enjoying life. My pain is constant but I push myself to focus on things I am passionate about such as cooking. It may take me ages to do it but I do it. And travel - we have a house in Croatia and to get there is an absolute unbelievable nightmare due to sitting but I do it (although the pain is just unbearable and agonizing). I have to.

All these conditions have taught me a lot about myself and others. I have been forced to slow down. Therfore I do a lot of reading and have become knowledgable on many topics. I know my limitations and now say no to things/people when I need to. It has also brought my husband and I even closer together than ever which is remarkable as we married our best friend.

Remember that today is a new day with new hopes and possibilities! :D

MacheHill Newbie

Oh, I am so sorry you have to go through all this. I can relate. I was very healthy (or at leaest FELT) healthy up until 3 1/2 years ago when I was involved in an accident causing herniated discs and so on. Then I was diagnosed with IT band syndrome, degenerative disc disease, osteoarthritis and celiac disease followed by fibromyalgia. Add to the mix insomnia due to chronic pain. At my sleep study I was not even able to fall asleep at all. Insomnia really is horrible and exacerbates pain so much. Part of me is almost wondering, what next? My husband used to have a healthy wife; now I am a wife who is always in pain which really hurts both of us. Like you I also have TMJ. It just does not seem to end, I know, but there is always hope. I used to dwell on my pain and allow it to rule my life.

Whilst it is difficult for me to manage my pain (well, alright, impossible) I cope with it better than I used to. A wise chiropractor told me all about hurt versus harm. Yes, we really hurt but doing daily activities (other than obvious lifting, bending, twisting...) usually does not cause harm. I am thankful for that. He also told me I had fear avoidance which is allowing pain to prevent you from doing things and enjoying life. My pain is constant but I push myself to focus on things I am passionate about such as cooking. It may take me ages to do it but I do it. And travel - we have a house in Croatia and to get there is an absolute unbelievable nightmare due to sitting but I do it (although the pain is just unbearable and agonizing). I have to.

All these conditions have taught me a lot about myself and others. I have been forced to slow down. Therfore I do a lot of reading and have become knowledgable on many topics. I know my limitations and now say no to things/people when I need to. It has also brought my husband and I even closer together than ever which is remarkable as we married our best friend.

Remember that today is a new day with new hopes and possibilities! :D

Thanks for the kind words and wisdom. I'm only 31 and I feel like I'm falling apart! I have let myself get down and a little depressed about it all here recently. I just want to be a good mom to my three children and a good wife to my husband. But I do feel that all of these ailments have started to control my life. I used to be active and happier but it's beginning to take a toll. I'm working on each thing as it comes. But it's getting increasingly hard to see the light at the end of the tunnel.

pricklypear1971 Community Regular

I am diagnosed with Hashimotos, working on Celiac diagnosis and DH.

I also recently developed TMJ. TMJ is "inflammation", which is caused by celiac. Try TMJ massage/adjustment. Don't try surgery!

I understand exactly what you mean. I had a melt down last night over "falling apart". I just remind myself it could be worse and then try to pick myself up and do what needs doing - most of time it works. Other times I just want to sit in a corner and cry.

I try to remind myself that it will get better once I stay off gluten a while. I know other others live full and healthy lives and I MUST be one of those.

Archived