jemms

Keep It Under Wraps?

Rate this topic

I start my new job Wednesday and my boss will be taking me out to lunch. I dont really trust anything at a restaurant unless it is a salad so I am sure that is what I will order. Seeing how I cant have dairy or gluten I dont want her to think that I am just some pain in the *** person who is super picky. Do you tell people right away about your Celiacs even if you dont know them very well?? Thanks!

Don't hide it but don't make a big deal about it. Order as you normally would to avoid gluten and dairy. If asked directly by the boss you can explain that you have food "allergies" (or say celiac if you think they might know what it is) but it's no big deal and then change the subject by asking a question about your new job. The only reason to tell them in advance would be if you are super sensitive and not able to eat out at most places safely. I'm sensitive and I have to tell people via e-mail or facebook quite frequently that I can only eat at certain places due to celiac and food allergies. For me, most of the time it means not going to a restaurant meal. If it were for my job however or something important enough I would go and not eat. In most cases where the person is taking me out specifically (as opposed to a big group) I get asked where I CAN eat and we go there. So it may be to your advantage to talk to them in advance if you are really leary about it. I'm sure your boss would prefer to have a healthy employee instead of one that is sick for the first week.

You're not going to be able to order safely at a restaurant without revealing something.

Better the boss finds out sooner rather than later, glutened employees tend to be either sleepy or cranky, it's better for them to take you to someplace where there is something edible. (start googling hard now for restaurants in the area w/ gluten free options)

{shrug....} there are so many people with various food restrictions at this point, is it a big deal ? Hey, is that kosher ? Hey, is it sunset yet, is that halal ? That doesn't have peanuts in it, does it ? Is that sugar free ? etc etc etc

• Upvote 1

Do you know where you are going? Call ahead and make arrangements beforehand. That would help.

Yes, just downplay it but be safe.

thanks everyone for your help!!! :D