BobbyKat LittleCub

Bloating

Rate this topic

I was just wondering how long does it take for the bloating & intestinal discomforts to stop after following the diet because I'm positive I didn't eat any accidental gluten today. I only ate rice chex with almond milk and a plain potato today.

It can take a while, a different amount of time for everyone :) You have done damage to your intestines and they have to heal before you will be able to process your food normally. Be patient and take note of all little improvements to keep you on the right path, knowing that one day the magic day will come. Have you stopped dairy for now also? Because if you have damaged your small intestine you have probably impaired your ability to digest that for now also?

I had painless (but annoying!) bloating for about 2 months, and it got worse before it got better. I looked 6 months pregnant, which my husband thought was cute but I sure didn't!

Thanks Mushroom and Kitgordon for your response. I just feel so overwhelmed by this disease, and I hope this forum can provide me with answers & guidance.

• Upvote 2

Thanks Mushroom and Kitgordon for your response. I just feel so overwhelmed by this disease, and I hope this forum can provide me with answers & guidance.

You are in the right place for that! It does get easier, I promise, and so worth it as you start to feel better.

• Upvote 1

Hi Bobbykat,

Your lactose intolerance is not surprising, as the lasctase enzyme is produced by the villi in the small intestine. So damaged villi equals little or no lactase enyzme to digest the milk sugar lactose. That can change though, and some people can start eating dairy again after they have been gluten-free a while. Some people never have a problem with dairy too.

• Upvote 1

I'm positive I didn't eat any accidental gluten today. I only ate rice chex with almond milk and a plain potato today.

Everyone is different, but for me it takes three days for symptoms to show up. I need to keep a detailed food journal to be able to track down the problem food.