Rosey321

Tortilla Recipe And Press

Rate this topic

Does anyone make thier own corn tortillas? If so did you buy a press and which one works best?

Oh yes, you are going to have so much fun doing this! I actually have a pine wood "wedding" press, traditionally given for a union. My only suggestion is be sure and use some plastic on both sides. You need NO oil even though you can do lots of stuff to those tortilla, green chilies, cheese, onions, flax you name it you can add it to the 'masa'. BTW, nothing wrong with a rolling pin to start with! Just roll it between two pieces of wood the thickness of the tortilla you want.(hard to get it round) Why not make them square, for something different? I've also used a cookie-cutter to make 'cute' tortillas for day care.

I have an inexpensive plastic tortilla press. They are super easy to make, but they take a bit of time. So worth it though, they taste so much better than store bought.

i know that you can make the flour ones by hand (oh how i miss them), but i am unsure about the corn ones.

i know that you can make the flour ones by hand (oh how i miss them), but i am unsure about the corn ones.

Yes, definitely! Far better than commercial.

The corn ones are SO easy to make and much, much better than the store bought. I had a friend over for Mexican once that said he was so glad I could make gluten-free tortillas because he didn't like corn tortillas--as he was complimenting me on how good my homemade tortillas were. Then I had to break it to him that he was eating CORN tortillas! LOL. Changed his mind big time.

Get yourself a bag of MaSeCa brand masa harina and read the direction on the bag for making tortillas. Basically all you do is add water to the corn flour make little balls, flatten them with a press (or by hand) and then heat on a skillet for a few seconds on each side. Before I had a press I would use two plates with wax paper on them to flatten my tortillas. I have just a standard cast iron tortilla press. I'm not sure what the brand is or if it even has one. I had to order mine from Amazon as I could not find one in my stores here even though we have a big International grocery with a large Mexican selection. If you have a Mexican grocery you may be able to find one there or ask the store employees if they know anywhere to buy one in town.