kimis

Xanthan Gum

Rate this topic

My favorite flour blend was arrowhead mills gluten free all purpose flour blend untill they just recently reformulated it. They substituted xanthan gum in place of guar gum and I think I may be reacting to it. Is that even possible? Well, I was looking up different recipes to try and make my own and everything calls for xanthan gum. Are the two gums interchangeable? I would love a good recipe for this without xanthan gum...I usually make pancakes with it. Thanks!

According to one of the gluten-free cookbooks I have, it says that guar gum can be used instead of xanthan gum (but I don't think the other way round). It says however that if a recipe calls for 1 tsp xanthan, then use 1 1/2 tsp guar gum.

I've also seen recipes using ground flax or ground chia, instead of xanthan, but I'm not sure about the amounts. You may have to experiment.

Xanthan gum is grown on corn. Before I realized I was corn intolerant, I bought some. I never got to use it. I can't get guar gum in my town, so I bought some ground flaxseed. They SAY you can use it in place of the xantan gum, but I don't know how to cook, and frankly, I've been afraid to try baking anything yet. Here is a list of things you could use instead:

http://gluten.lovetoknow.com/xanthan-gum-substitute

Thanks! I got some work to do...