Amyisstarving

Gluten And Urinary Infections

Rate this topic

Hi, I'm newly diagnosed (June) and have had recurrent urinary infections since I was 18 (36yr old now). I have noticed that since I have gone gluten free I no longer have the problems. I used to get 3-4 infections a year. Every time I went to the Dr. he would ask if I had burning while urinating, and frequency and I would always say NO!! I had pain in my lower abdomen and I couldn't urinate.

Now that I have gone gluten free I have noticed that I am "going" like a champ! No pain-no infections....coincidence? I have read that gluten can cause some bad swelling in your lymph nodes, and we all know that we have tons of them in our groin area. Was wondering if anyone out there has experienced anything similar? I also don't seem to be so crabby or tired like before. I have lost 18lbs so far and generally feel the best I've felt in a L-O-N-G time. This life change is, just that. A LIFE change! Any thoughts?

Ive had some similiar problems abd I've only been gluten-free for about a week now. So far, it seems like my symptoms have lessened dramatically, yay!

I experienced the same phenomena, lots of uti's & infections. Was likely caused by my body harvesting calcium out of my bones to keep the blood levels up, because I probably wasn't absorbing it properly (my theory) and then the kidneys filtering it out. Lots of crystals in my urine. Calcium/mag supplements helped a little, but going gluten free was amazing.

I had years of antibiotics to treat UTI symptoms...sometimes tests were postive for bacteria but most times not. It was really awful. I had no freaking idea that being gluten free would make this problem go away. But it totally went away. I am one year gluten free and have not had one single episode of UTI infection in the entire year...not even when I get cross-contaminated. Urinary urgency was present my entire life...could hardly go an hour without needing the bathroom. Now there is no problem with that at all. Very weird, but very wonderful. I searched that topic in the archives and it turns out there are quite a few of us who have had complete remission of these symptoms on going gluten free.

Takala, that is very interesting...I could not figure out why on earth this would go away being gluten free, but your theory makes perfect sense to me. :)

OK There is a definate explanation for UTI's gluten related ~ Constipation. The constipation can block block the full release of the bladder (pressure feeling). That can lead up to the trapped bacteria causing the UTI.

For some it doesn't go away because of the gluten free diet sometimes causing constipation.

I am 33 year old female I was dx with celiac disease last year. I have been 100% gluten free for 1 year now and i felt better then i have ever felt now that i am gluten free. My both babies were placed on a gluten free diets one over eats and one has failure to thrive loss of wt and bowel problems and reflux apena at birth when drinking regular milk formula they placed her on a gluten free formula and boost as a toddler and she gained and was cured from all problem once gluten free. Also until we test them just in case Gluten free diet Dr. says is healtier any ways and better to be safe then sorry with the children to be g.f. I had all these problems as an adult after two c sections having babies dr said it came out of a silent disease to active and showing problems now. When i was a child i only had vomiting and nose bleeds in cold weather,UTI'S sometimes, stomack problems from lactose. Dr's took 32 yrs to figure out what was wrong after 3 surguries these problems .Including UTI'S,burning while urinating when i was accidently glutened at times. If i can help anyone dx your problem maybe let this be help for you to know i was depressed sick vomiting and thought it was no return and when dr's 11 mts later suffering from these massive amounts of problems i then had an answer i was a celiac and now i am cured with a good dr to walk you through and this site helped me i always refer to all the members helping others i am here today to tell you im cured and better. Theres a brighter life once you feel better and i am better. My thoughts goes out to those who have suffered and those who have died from liver and kidney failure and diabetes, bowel disease, when it was to late and they didn't know how to save them selves or what was wrong and they suffered there is life now i am here and many others to tell there story we did it and we are all getting better from what i see on here a pat on the back for all who are learning to be G.F it's hard but once you put your all you did it:)