This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Simona

Simona19

eatmeat4good Enthusiast

How fun it was to read this thread! I looked at each post like a new chapter and I could actually smell the bread baking as you all described it!

This is the first wonderful gluten free bread saga I have read. It was delightful fun to see how they all turned out!

I am going to make this soon...I loved how she said she was waiting as a small baby waits for a piece of cake...that is how I feel too! Waiting for a piece of real bread.

Thanks for the recipe and the bread-baking saga! So fun!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
GlutenFreeManna Rising Star

It's the next morning and my kitchen still smells like the wonderful smell from this bread baking! I had a slice for breakfast and it tastes sweeter to me this morning. The crumb is somewhat like a cake texture and it is still soft with a nice crust. This crust is the best crust I have made on a gluten-free bread. Now that it is fall I will have to make some pumpkin butter to put on this bread. :)

love2travel Mentor

How fun it was to read this thread! I looked at each post like a new chapter and I could actually smell the bread baking as you all described it!

This is the first wonderful gluten free bread saga I have read. It was delightful fun to see how they all turned out!

I am going to make this soon...I loved how she said she was waiting as a small baby waits for a piece of cake...that is how I feel too! Waiting for a piece of real bread.

Thanks for the recipe and the bread-baking saga! So fun!

Yesterday I sort of felt like we were in our own little world, going back and forth, but am glad that you enjoyed baking along with us! This bread really is worth trying. :)

love2travel Mentor

OK - Day 2 of THE BREAD.

Texture fine like cake as GlutenFreeManna said. Still soft, still smells like a bakery. My husband enjoyed it as well, having more than just one piece and leaving the rest for me. I am a professional recipe tester and so he is used to trying test recipes often and giving his opinion. Won't do an evaluation here but this bread is still one of the best gluten-free breads I have tried to date. I was so excited about the prospect of B R E A D yesterday that I was practically peeing my pants, waiting for the dough to rise then bake.

Thoughts - am going to form these into rolls next week. Did you hear that? FORM them into rolls. Not spread or drop but FORM. That was half the fun for me as I really miss kneading dough. This would make very good bread sticks (add some Parmesan and fresh herbs) and brush with garlic oil as soon as they are pulled out of the oven. I am also going to do a touch of tweaking to transform this recipe into pizza crust.

So, if you have are wavering whether you should consider trying this recipe, just DO IT. Sure, it is not like gluten bread but you cannot expect that.

Great job, Simona! :D Are you baking this bread again today?

Simona19 Collaborator

OK - Day 2 of THE BREAD.

Texture fine like cake as GlutenFreeManna said. Still soft, still smells like a bakery. My husband enjoyed it as well, having more than just one piece and leaving the rest for me. I am a professional recipe tester and so he is used to trying test recipes often and giving his opinion. Won't do an evaluation here but this bread is still one of the best gluten-free breads I have tried to date. I was so excited about the prospect of B R E A D yesterday that I was practically peeing my pants, waiting for the dough to rise then bake.

Thoughts - am going to form these into rolls next week. Did you hear that? FORM them into rolls. Not spread or drop but FORM. That was half the fun for me as I really miss kneading dough. This would make very good bread sticks (add some Parmesan and fresh herbs) and brush with garlic oil as soon as they are pulled out of the oven. I am also going to do a touch of tweaking to transform this recipe into pizza crust.

So, if you have are wavering whether you should consider trying this recipe, just DO IT. Sure, it is not like gluten bread but you cannot expect that.

Great job, Simona! :D Are you baking this bread again today?

O, yeeeah.

Mine bread is ready to go into oven in 10 minutes. In meantime I was baking doughs for other pastry cakes.

Today I'm making it more sweet. I added 2 more Tbsp. of sugar.

And one more trick: I made it higher and in two braids I mixed 1 Tbsp. of cocoa for color. I braided bread with them. In one row, one cocoa braid. After the Challah bread would be done, just picture one slice. It will be like a mozaic. Nice, right?

This kind of Challah bread we have been baking in my country for ages on special holidays, or for weddings, child's babtism, etc.

2ahad1k.webp

Simona19 Collaborator

I used unsalted margarine in my recipe. If you don't have it, then use salty, but cut salt out from ingredients.

And if you will use coconut milk, cut on margarine little. There is more fat inside than in rice milk.

love2travel Mentor

OMG!!!!

I just realized something. I made mistake when copying my recipe.

YOU NEED TO USE 1 Tbsp. of BAKING SODA.

Plus: use unsalted margarine. If you don't have, then use salty, but cut salt out from ingredience.

And if you will use coconut milk, cut on margarine little. There is more fat inside than in rice milk.

Should I post this recipe one more time, or write another reply with correct recipe?

Actually, I could tell that this was a big batch of dough so I adjusted the baking soda accordingly. But I think it would help to add that to the recipe in case people do not read each of these posts.

I do not use margarine but clarified butter in all my recipes and this worked very well, too. :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Simona19 Collaborator

Actually, I could tell that this was a big batch of dough so I adjusted the baking soda accordingly. But I think it would help to add that to the recipe in case people do not read each of these posts.

I do not use margarine but clarified butter in all my recipes and this worked very well, too. :)

As I tested my Challah and I can taste the baking soda. I checked one more time mine recipe and the first- original recipe is right.

There is only 1 TEASPOON of baking soda in it.

I made mistake with 1 Tbsp. of sugar. Sorry for the confusion.

I edited my post and there isn't any mentioning of it.

love2travel Mentor

As I tested my Challah and I can taste the baking soda. I checked one more time mine recipe and the first- original recipe is right.

Interesting. I used 1.5 tsp and thankfully did not taste the soda. :)

I'm confused now which part was wrong but I will be sure to pay attention to the original post when I make it again. The texture and taste of this bread today was a little like biscotti. I think that if I were to put the slices in the oven and dry them like you do for croutons it would make an excellent biscotti. Sorry to say my bread did not stay soft but it still has a good flavor to it. I dipped pieces from my second small loaf into soup today. Tommorrow I will make either french toast or biscotti with the rest of it.

love2travel Mentor

I'm confused now which part was wrong but I will be sure to pay attention to the original post when I make it again. The texture and taste of this bread today was a little like biscotti. I think that if I were to put the slices in the oven and dry them like you do for croutons it would make an excellent biscotti. Sorry to say my bread did not stay soft but it still has a good flavor to it. I dipped pieces from my second small loaf into soup today. Tommorrow I will make either french toast or biscotti with the rest of it.

Same here! Not soft any longer (quite dry) BUT will make good French toast tomorrow! Next time I will make two loaves and freeze one. Or make some buns.

Simona19 Collaborator

Same here! Not soft any longer (quite dry) BUT will make good French toast tomorrow! Next time I will make two loaves and freeze one. Or make some buns.

Mine is dry this time too- more baking soda could be the reason. It isn't tasty like before. :angry:

The recipe should be like this:

Simona

Simona19 Collaborator

This dough would be good for a chocolate babka, cinnamon rolls, buns, or bread sticks like others sad.

Sorry for dry bread.

I found out myself that you need to use everything like I wrote, otherwise the result can be slightly different and not always good.

I kept my bread covered with plastic foil and in a plastic bag from store. It was soft for 3 days. On forth day I made French toast and it was soft, and good. I still have half from mine. I think I will make toasts tommorow to.

eatmeat4good Enthusiast

If somebody makes cinnamon rolls out of this...please write about it. I love reading about this bread!

I'm going to have to try...hey GlutenFreeManna? Did you make yours without using a mixer???

Did all of you make braids with your bread dough???

Did anyone make regular loaves?

Is this important or not? :unsure:

If somebody makes cinnamon rolls out of this...please write about it. I love reading about this bread!

I'm going to have to try...hey GlutenFreeManna? Did you make yours without using a mixer???

Did all of you make braids with your bread dough???

Did anyone make regular loaves?

Is this important or not? :unsure:

Yes I made mine by mixing by hand as suggested by Simona. It was hard work but I managed to get it mixed up well. I made two small braided loaves with only three threads in each bread. I had never made challah bread before so I didn't want to get to complicated with four or six threaded braids. The dough was not hard to work with as long as you had lots of oil on your hands. I had to re-oil my hands about 3 times while forming the loaves.

Simona19 Collaborator

I made the smaller Challah bread myself with the half of dough. With the other half I made an apple

cake. I also made buns.

2qaut92.webp

This Challah was soft for 3 days.

2n9aptv.webp

Apple cake

dough ( I covered the bottom of the pan by spreading the dough by hands), shredded apples, sugar, cinnamon and dough on top (you must devide dough on 4-6 slices, spread it in your hands and cover the top of cake one part at time - the dough is delicate and you wouldn't be able to cover all area at ones)

imlzic.webp

2n9ylxc.webp

30a9wd4.webp

eatmeat4good Enthusiast

Oh my Gosh that is just beautiful!

I love the way the dough looks prebaked.

Thank you again!

Your pictures belong in a cookbook!

So does your recipe!

OK, now just what is a Chocolate Babka??

Sounds yummy! :o

kareng Grand Master

Mine is dry this time too- more baking soda could be the reason. It isn't tasty like before. :angry:

The recipe should be like this:

I compared your first recipe to this. They are the same ingredients except this new one doesn't list the salt.

I thought maybe we could fix the first one but it looks OK.

Cook on!

Simona19 Collaborator

I compared your first recipe to this. They are the same ingredients except this new one doesn't list the salt.

Cook on!

Sorry, sorry, sorry. I fixed the second recipe again. I used copy and paste from my file, where I originaly forgot to add salt. And I already fixed the first time. Hm...

:blink: :blink: :o :o :o

I did the same mistake twice. I fixed the recipe. If you use unsalted butter, margarine, then you need salt, but if you use salted margarine, then you don't need to use salt!!!

Finally I sad it right. :rolleyes:

Poppi Enthusiast

Can I use cow's milk and butter?

love2travel Mentor

I used lactose-free milk and ghee.

Simona19 Collaborator

I think so. Try it and you will see, if you need to adjust something later. I wish that I could use milk and butter in my recipes. The life would be easier, but I can't and I came out with this recipe instead.

Simona19 Collaborator

Cook on!

It was good catch. The salt is important.

Thank you.

Simona19 Collaborator

Oh my Gosh that is just beautiful!

I love the way the dough looks prebaked.

Thank you again!

Your pictures belong in a cookbook!

So does your recipe!

OK, now just what is a Chocolate Babka??

Sounds yummy! :o

A Chocolate babka is this:

Open Original Shared Link

But we should try to make it with my dough and put chocolate in middle

I'm also wondering, if my dough would be good for this. This is WOW!

Open Original Shared Link

Chocolate babka sounds wonderful! Sorry to report that this bread completely crumbled on me today when I tried to slice it. So it was impossible to use for french toast or anything else except croutons or bread crumbs. I made croutons out of the remaining half of a loaf. I sprayed with olive oil, sprinkled with kosher salt, garlic powder and Italian seasoning. Made the best croutons I have made in a long time however!

I will try the bread again sometime with a different milk sub and all the right ingredients. Thank you again for all your work and sharing the ideas for what else to make from this dough.

Archived