Jayney

Trans-Derma Contamination

Rate this topic

Hi. I have been gluten free for just shy of a year now so it is still a big learning curve.

Recently my cat has taken to licking my face to wake me up in the morning. I don't know why she has taken to doing this but it's always on my right cheek just under my eye. I've noticed that the last two days my cheek has been burning and painful, like I have been punched on the eye and my eye and eye lid is starting to become sore too.

I have been doing a lot of reading on the subject of gluten contamination through the skin, which some sources dont believe is possible. Personally I feel that if it is necessary to have gluten free shampoo then, it stands to reason that trans derma contamination is possible.

So is it possible that the pain i am feeling in my eye and cheek is a reaction to my cat licking me? I have looked this morning and her cat food does contain gluten.

Any thoughts?

Many of us switch our pets to grain free food to prevent CC from licks and petting them or the dust from their food. Cat tongues are quite abrasive and you also may be transferring some residue into your eyes if you are rubbing them before you are fully awake. The best way IMHO to see if the food your feeding the cat is causing this is to switch her to a gluten grain free food and see if the problem clears up.

Very possible.

And cats have very rough tongues. Painfully so. Constant licking alone could irritate a delicate spot.

The major cat allergen is in their saliva too.