Roda

Rheumatoid Arthritis

Rate this topic

I just found out that my RF is slightly elevated from my last labs done in June (I just got the results, another story ). I had a bunch of tests run back in Feb. by my PCP for other autoimmune issues and they were normal then. I'm unsure if a RF was done then. I thought is was peculiar that my endo asked me last week if I was seeing a rhuematologist. I had no idea why she asked until I left and looked at my labs. What has me worried is that maybe I'm not gluten free enough? I have not had my celiac labs drawn in a year either. I'm probably going to make an appointment with my PCP to see what she thinks. Could the RF be elevated and not have it? Anyone develop it after being diagnosed with celiac? It will be my 3 year anniversary of being gluen free the end of next month.

unfortunately it is not at all unusual to develop more autoimmune diseases once one has been triggered. If your RF levels are high, it is very likely that you have rheumatoid arthritis as well as Celiac. You probably are "gluten free enough", there's just not much we can do about being susceptible to autoimmune diseases.

I'm waiting on test results to find out if I have Lupus now too. Not fun.

After my celiac diagnosis six months ago I was diagnosed with osteoarthritis and fibromyalgia, both of which have caused me pain for years. Helpful to know what it is but I don't want either of 'em! :(

Ugg.. I have this mental image stuck in my head from when I was 5. It was 1978 and my great uncle had rheumatiod arthritis (he was elderly then) and his hands were all deformed and he hardly could get around. For some reason the thought of it scares me. I read some articles that RF can be elevated because of other AI diseases. So here is hoping.

there are a lot more treatments now to reduce pain and bone deformity caused by RA than there was back then.

there are a lot more treatments now to reduce pain and bone deformity caused by RA than there was back then.

Thanks for the thoughts! Sometimes it's hard not to let that 5 year old imagination run wild sometimes. :lol: I am going today to my PCP to see if I need to have any further work up or not.

:lol: :lol: although it's not really a funny subject. I had that same image from my childhood so when they told me RA (now psoriatic arthritis - a combination of the two for added joy, but with some slightly different characteristics) I hopped on the methotrexate bandwagon right away as I heard it would prevent the deformities. Well, I had to kiss quite a few medication frogs before one turned into a prince (Humira for me, your mileage may vary), but I have to say that I am pain free, deformity free (maybe some slightly chubby fingers and toes but no knobbiness or withered or distorted look :)) and no hideous psoriasis outbreaks :D So yes, they have come a long way since the days of our childhoods (and my childhood was a lot longer ago than yours so I probably have seen more :o ) Not that the meds don't have their problems, but you have to choose your poison :rolleyes:

:lol: :lol: although it's not really a funny subject. I had that same image from my childhood so when they told me RA (now psoriatic arthritis - a combination of the two for added joy, but with some slightly different characteristics) I hopped on the methotrexate bandwagon right away as I heard it would prevent the deformities. Well, I had to kiss quite a few medication frogs before one turned into a prince (Humira for me, your mileage may vary), but I have to say that I am pain free, deformity free (maybe some slightly chubby fingers and toes but no knobbiness or withered or distorted look :)) and no hideous psoriasis outbreaks :D So yes, they have come a long way since the days of our childhoods (and my childhood was a lot longer ago than yours so I probably have seen more :o ) Not that the meds don't have their problems, but you have to choose your poison :rolleyes:

I went today to see if I needed any further work up. Based on my lack of symptoms, normal sed rate and normal ANA and something else, I was told not to worry right now. I was told that I was at increased risk so it warrented watching. I'm going back in Feb. for repeat blood work.

Roda...you didn't mention symptoms of RA...do you have any ?

Curious....I've had symptoms since December & am still seeking a diagnosis - RF negative back then. I go in Friday for results after a big round of more blood tests, but honestly at this point it pretty much has to be RA. Maybe I'm just one of those with weird blood work (kinda like my celiac). I have a lot of pain, fatigue, and stiffness - way worse now than in December. It has really progressed and I think my hands are starting to morph.

Having said that, I have read a LOT - the meds they have now really do seem to halt a lot of the deformities in the joints, though it is important to be diagnosed ASAP and get on them. Ugh. I just finished a round of prednisone & anti inflammatories. It seemed to help but not get rid of pain. I took my last anti inlammatory yesterday morning and am pretty sore & stiff today. I wanted to be off them for my doc appointment Friday but not sure I will make it !

Good luck & keep on it. FWIW, you can be positive for the RF and not have rheumatoid arthritis.

I don't seem to have any symtoms of RA. I have been fatigued a lot, but that could be from a host of other things.

Also, FWIW, you can have forms of rheumatoid arthritis that are RF negative, like mine :( I did not develop the psoriasis to go with it until a year or two later.

Psoriatic arthritis can deform the bones like RA can, but it will have a negative RF result.

If you have negative RF, but positive ANA, it could be any number of other auto-immunes such as lupus, sjogren's, systemic sclerosis etc etc etc...

ALL of the above can cause similar symptoms of all over pain, brain fog, and malaise, but each usually has their own singular markers/symptoms that a rheumatologist should be able to pin down.