Fairy Dancer

Dairy

Rate this topic

HI

About 3 or so months ago I eliminated grains and gluten from my diet and have slowly started to feel much better. However now I am noticing that whenever I consume a lot of dairy produce I feel unwell again. Has anyone else found that, some months down the line, they have also had the same problem and is it worth taking dairy out of my diet also?

If so, what other sources of calcium are there?

Here is a link to non-dairy food sources of calcium. You will need to scroll down on the page. It gives the food source and the amount of calcium in the food.

http://www.health.gov/dietaryguidelines/dga2005/document/html/appendixB.htm

Your issue could be with casien or lactose. You may want to try adding dairy back in after you are feeling better going with hard cheeses like cheddar. If your issue is lactose you should be able to tolerate the hard cheeses and yogurt as those are very low in lactose. Butter is usually okay for those that don't tolerate dairy as it is very low in lactose and casien. I used Ghee, which is clarified butter, for a while as I don't tolerate soy and most butter replacement spreads contain soy.

You might also want to consider a good gluten-free supplement for calcium to be on the safe side.

Yes, and it only took about 3 years to figure it out or maybe it wasn't a problem all that time, but I am now doing so much better! No more dairy, I have a lot more energy, sleeping good, no more itchy ears, and no more cracking rough skin on my fingers, no more uneasy stomach.

Yup. I can't do dairy either. That was the catalyst for becoming a vegan. I was already a vegetarian and I figured why not, if I can't eat cheese anymore I might as well go all the way. :D