This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Midel Cookies

Guest Cher2

Guest Cher2

Has anyone out there ever tried the Midel cookies. I recently purchased a bag of them and they state on the label that they are gluten free. I ate 3 of them on Sunday night and by 5:00 a.m. I had severe diarrhea and abdominal pain for 1 hour. I also ate some Dinty Moore stew which is supposed to be gluten free. I thought that maybe some of the strange flours in the cookies caused a reaction, also I noticed that there is alot of canola oil in the cookies. Could canola oil be a cause of the reaction? I threw out the cookies because it's just not worth trying them again. The kind I tried were just like oreos so I was excited thinking I found a substitute. I am beginning to think that I will have to start making everything from scratch so I know whats exactly in everything I eat. Thanks for any suggestions.

Cheryl

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Terri-Anne Apprentice

:D Thanks to the great and knowledgeable people at this site, My son Logan has recently (like around Christmas time) started eating Mi-Del Animal Crackers, Mini chocolate chip cookies, and just this weekend, the Mi-Del Oreo type of cookies. He loves them all, and thank God, experiences NO ill-effects, reactions of any sort after eating them.

Are you sure it was not the stew you ate that caused your reaction? Most canned stews are thickened with wheat flour regardless of what name it is hidden under on the label. Did you call the company to find out for sure whether the stew is definitely wheat free?

It would be my guess that the Mi-Del products are safe for you to eat with out any reactions, pain, diarrhea, etc., but that the stew likely caused your problems.

I hope you are feeling better, and give those Mi-Del cookies another chance! You need to have some yummy stuff to snack on!

SteveW Rookie

Cheryl

I have had bad reaction to Midel cookies.

Not sure why but it may be the Soy and I think there is yeast in them.

Also the fiber in those cookies is through the roof!

The last thing I need is more fiber.

I tend to eat to many so that doesn't help.

lauradawn Explorer

Is there a reason to watch the amount of fiber? I never had even thought about that?....

Terri-Anne Apprentice

Lauradawn

My nutritionist advised me to use the bean flours in baking for my son, to increase the amount of fibre in his diet as the rice flours tend to be very low in fibre. Also why brown rice flour is recommended over straight white rice flour.

Adequate fibre is important in your diet, even if you have celiac disease!

Cher2,

The strange flours in the Mi-Del cookies are typical replacement flours for wheat flour. Out of curiosity, I am wondering what you use when you make your own wheat-free gluten-free baked goods?

• 5 years later...
kuunami Newbie

Hello,

I actually tried Midel cookies about 3 days ago and had a very bad reaction to it as well. For me it's severe itching all over for several days. At first I thought it was because of a glass of wine that I had at a friends house but then I noticed that it got bad again when I had more of the cookies. I think from now on I'll stay away from junk food all together.

Ahorsesoul Enthusiast

Midel cookies. For some reason I don't buy them. Can't remember what they do but I remember not to put them in my cart.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

brigala Explorer

Hmm. I've eaten several different Mi-Del cookies with no reactions. My favorites are the vanilla sandwich cookies, I think. I wasn't impressed with the oreo-copies. I also like the arrowroot animal-shaped ones, but I found the ones I bought online were stale (still edible, but not delicious) whereas the ones I bought in the store were to-die-for. I think the difference was that the bags were crushed into the shipping box, perhaps breaking the air-tight seal. They were all broken, too. :( But they made great cheescake crusts.

A couple of possibilities include a bad batch (cross contamination) or a sensitivity to one of the ingredients in the cookies. Mi-Del does make non-gluten-free cookies, too (I guess a third, but less likely possibility is that you accidentally picked up the wrong kind of cookie). I don't know whether they're made in separate facilities or not.

I find that I have to be extremely diligent about getting enough fiber in my diet now. I don't eat many raw vegetables because they cause me to itch. So, without "whole wheat" or many oats in my diet, I can get backed up pretty easily. I never noticed the Mi-Del cookies were high in fiber. Maybe I should buy them more often. ;)

-Elizabeth

runningcrazy Contributor

Im eating midel gingersnaps rght now. I've never had a problem but I'm pretty sure they are not made on dedicated lines, so that could be problem.

nocommente Rookie

You can have an allergy to anything. I have a horrible reaction to sorghum flour, far worse than my gluten reaction. Lots of gluten-free products are made with it, so I have to check everything carefully.

I eat the Dinty Moore stew all the time without problems. (It's thickened with corn starch.) Have you ever eaten it before?

Did your problems match your usual gluten reaction, or were there some differences?

Darn210 Enthusiast
I eat the Dinty Moore stew all the time without problems. (It's thickened with corn starch.) Have you ever eaten it before?

Did your problems match your usual gluten reaction, or were there some differences?

Keep in mind that the original post was from 2004 . . . not likely that the op is still watching this thread.

• 2 years later...
glutenfreeincalifornia Newbie

I purchased Mi Del Pecan shortbread cookies, ate almost the whole bag, and there was a black octagon shaped cookie at the bottom of the bag. I didn't get sick that time, but I had suspected getting sick from them before. I was concerned about what the cookie was since I had never seen the cookie in their gluten free line. I emailed the company about it and described the cookie to them. They confirmed that it was a wheat cookie. They told me that the regular cookies and the gluten free cookies share the same holding bins, and the same production lines. They told me they would improve their bin labeling practices, that didn't seem like a solution to me. I decided that I would never buy Midel cookies again.

Carla

Archived