chrissyinnj

When You Are Glutened

Rate this topic

When you have gluten by accident, does your reaction vary with the amount of gluten you ingest?

(tiny bit of gluten= smaller reaction, lots of gluten= big reaction)

or do you find it is about the same regardless of amount.

Also, we you are glutened, how long does it usually last before you feel like yourself again.(hours, days, weeks, etc)

I think everybody here will have different answers. It just seems to be the nature of the disease. For me, it took my years to figure it out. If I am feeling foggy and ungodly tired, I go back two days and see where I got glutened. And yes, the amount definitely matters, as least for me. Last January, I ordered sushi with spicy mayo. Manager assured me sauce was safe (I've had it elsewhere.) AFTER my meal, she came up to me and told me she was wrong (and not only charged me for my meal, but tried charging a dollar extra for the sauce.) I was sick for six months after that. Thought it would never end.

It depends on me how much. I still have pretty strong reactions, but they are far worse if I actually eat a meal with gluten in it, like pastry etc. I can take weeks and weeks to be back to my old self - depending on how badly I was glutened - usually around 2 weeks.

I honestly don't know yet. So far I have been corned by accident, but not glutened. I ASSUME I have celiac because my Mom did, but I'm still not certain. Once I have gotten over this last corning (and if I can avoid it long enough), I'm going to gluten myself intentionally to find out. :blink:

If I eat alot of gluten (like a bite of gluten cake) I will throw up in a couple of hours. Then I feel wiped out and tired for a day or two. If I eat a crumb or breath in gluten (it happened at a farm on a windy day - ugh!) I am nauseated but don't throw up. That being said, the farther I get from the day I went gluten free, the more severe my reactions. When I first went gluten free I never had reactions (even before diagnosis I never had gi symptoms). Now, the more I am on the diet the worse my reactions when I mess up.

One day I will be able to look at a picture of a wheat field and throw up! :-) Lovely!