Rate this topic

So I just got the results of my biopsy. The doctor said the EGD had mucosal atrophy and blunted villi but the pathology came back negative for h pylori and celiac disease. I am very confused though, I respond very well to a gluten free diet, my tummy troubles pretty much disappeared and I had so much more energy. I have been thinking about could this possibly be another food allergy, but while I was eating gluten free, I would regularly consume lactose, soy and corn. My allergist said I am allergic to corn but since I don't have a reaction don't worry about it. I don't know what to think. Should I go ahead and diagnose myself? I work as a nurse and have asked multiple doctors and they said the blunted villi and response to the diet means celiac and don't listen to the blood or biopsy results because blunted villi is never normal. Any ideas?

So I just got the results of my biopsy. The doctor said the EGD had mucosal atrophy and blunted villi but the pathology came back negative for h pylori and celiac disease. I am very confused though, I respond very well to a gluten free diet, my tummy troubles pretty much disappeared and I had so much more energy. I have been thinking about could this possibly be another food allergy, but while I was eating gluten free, I would regularly consume lactose, soy and corn. My allergist said I am allergic to corn but since I don't have a reaction don't worry about it. I don't know what to think. Should I go ahead and diagnose myself? I work as a nurse and have asked multiple doctors and they said the blunted villi and response to the diet means celiac and don't listen to the blood or biopsy results because blunted villi is never normal. Any ideas?

I am not in the medical field but I also so thought that blunted Villi mean Celiac. Have you seen the results of your biopsy? If not, I would ask to see them and maybe bring them to another GI. Or post your report here and I'm sure you'll get a lot of responses. Also, do you know how many samples they took for your biopsies. That is another reason for false negatives.

If your body feels better gluten-free, then I would continue eating gluten-free. Good luck!

There is a saying here on the board that "biopsy trumps blood", so that if you have tested negative on the blood celiac panel but have blunted villi and respond to the gluten free diet I would consider I had celiac disease. I don't know the basis on which they decided that your blunted villi and mucosal atrophy did not represent celiac disease -- it would be interesting to know what they thought caused that :o I tested positive on skin prick testing to corn and soy and they both went on to become major problems for me after I went gluten free. They may not, of course, bother you.

Were you eating gluten free at the time of your testing or were you on a full gluten diet, and if so, for how long before testing? Because all celiac testing requires consumption of gluten for 2-3 months.

Hey Donna!

Although, I cannot be certain, you have several of the indicators of Celiac or, at the least gluten sensitivity of some level.

Yes, it's true to that some other foods can cause villious atrophy, but in conjunction with your positive dietary response...I think you have found your diagnosis. Biopsies can miss effected areas. Six to eight samples are suggested. Bet they didn't take that many, they seldom do.

You could continue to eat gluten free for several weeks and then re-introduce gluten for several days and see how you react.

Welcome to the Club! ;)

I only went back on gluten for two days prior to my biopsy but was on a full gluten diet for the blood work which of course was negative. I guess I will stick with the gluten free diet that seems to be my answer