glutenfreemamax2

How Do You Break The Addiction?

Rate this topic

Ever since I got glutened last week, I can't seem to break the addiction to the carby garbage. I'm still in a brain fog, depressed, anxiety, on the verge of tears. I feel sorry for my self and no energy to do anything but lay on the couch.

What kind of vitamins should I be taking? I honestly just can't think straight. I start therapy tomorrow and she is going to think I'm a total loon. I felt like this prior to being gluten free.

You are not a loon. Therapy is a good thing. The "addiction" to the carby stuff is probably not quite related to vitamins. It's related to why you are in therapy. Diet is important, but not everything. Regardless you are totally on the right track, so kudos!!! I hope therapy goes well tomorrow and don't be afraid to shop around if you dont like your therapist.

I know the addiction isn't related, but the brain fog and fatigue I thought were related to malabsorption issues?

Ever since I got glutened last week, I can't seem to break the addiction to the carby garbage. I'm still in a brain fog, depressed, anxiety, on the verge of tears. I feel sorry for my self and no energy to do anything but lay on the couch.

What kind of vitamins should I be taking? I honestly just can't think straight. I start therapy tomorrow and she is going to think I'm a total loon. I felt like this prior to being gluten free.

Your brain fog just might be from the awful glutening rather than a vitamin deficiency. It makes a person feel terrible, causing the rest of the issues you mentioned.

Have you had any blood tests run for vits and mineral levels?

Don't feel like a loon. I was such a mess 8 months ago, could not think, was barely functioning, was terribly confused what was going on, stress from family situations made it even more complicated so I too went to a counselor. Seeing her was a huge huge help while I was getting my brain wrapped around my health issues.

No I gave not had vitamin labs ran. My insurance runs out in 4 days. Drs around me are not big on supplements. I had vit d tested and it was very low

I have to get the carbs out of the house so I have no choice. Throw them away or give them away. (Wasting a little food to regain your health is worth it.)

I have to find something to substitute too. For me snacking when I'm hungry and my blood sugar is low is the worst. Celery sticks are really good because they give you something to chew. Put some sugar free peanut butter or cream cheese in the middles to make them more filling. A piece of fruit can satisfy a sugar craving. I usually go for an apple because the fiber smooths the "sugar rush". Nuts are filling, gluten-free low-carb snacks too.

As far as vitamins, I always recommend a really good multivitamin and mineral like Solgar. At the bare minimum you'll want B-complex, calcium depending on your dietary intake (women need 1000 mg/day), and fish oil can really help your nervous system settle down. The B vitamins are particularly important when I've been glutened and am anxious and I'll use the Emergen-C drink. (Check their website becasue some flavors have gluten. Orange that I always have is safe.)

Do not keep the "carby garbage" in the house, and it becomes a chore to go get it.

Eat more fat, proteins, vegetables.

Allow yourself a daily treat, such as a form of gluten free chocolate or something similar that is higher in fat, and no grain carbs. Home roasted clean nuts and raisins, peanut butter on a banana with safe gluten-free chocolate chips, etc.

Use coconut milk in your coffee/tea. Right away then, you've just added a good fat in the morning. Try eating anything else other than cereal in the am.

Consider "white" high glycemic index carbs a rare treat and not a dietary staple. Learn to make gluten-free breads quickly and easily (microwave bun in a cup or pancakes) out of whole grain high protein gluten-free ingredients, such as nut meals, garbanzo bean flours, teff, quinoa, buckwheat, amaranth, sorghum, millet - instead of the usual white rice and tapioca routine you will find in commercially baked goods. The white carbs spike your blood sugars and then you crash, and crave, over and over again. But this is a sign you are actually craving minerals. You need vitamins to regulate your hormones/glands to keep your body chemistry in gear.

A gluten free B- complex vitamin, a multivitamin, a calcium/vitamin D supplement, and a source of gluten free magnesium to balance and make the calcium work are all you really need. Remember, every time you add a supplement, you need to be absolutely sure it is gluten free, and you are putting yourself at risk of cross contamination from the fillers used. (no law regulates what has to be disclosed as to contents)

• Upvote 1

That all sounds awesome. Where can I find some recipes for the jar stuff?

I got all but mag. I couldn't find one that was small enough for me to swallow.

That all sounds awesome. Where can I find some recipes for the jar stuff?

I got all but mag. I couldn't find one that was small enough for me to swallow.

I take a chewable cal/mag supplement made by Country Live called Cal-Snack. There is a chocolate and a vanilla/orange flavor. They are certified gluten free/GMP certified.

Nuts can be ground in a blender. Buckwheat kasha can be ground in a coffee grinder. All of these do not need xanthan gum and use olive oil and higher protein gluten-free flours/meals. They can be made sugarless because they are leavened with apple cider vinegar or lemon juice and baking soda.

buckwheat flatbread (if you want sweeter, you can add more agave, honey, or other type of sweetener, even splenda in packets or stevia. also can be done in the microwave, in a cup, without egg, and works)

______

bun-in-a-cup microwave instant breads. can be made with all or partial nut and seed meals

______

skillet quick breads, using almond, sorghum, amaranth, uses small dedicated cast iron skillet. Fast recipe because of how it is cooked