RVluvin

New Cookwear Necessary

Rate this topic

It's been a month since my diagnose as celiac, and just going gluten free has done the trick. Do I necessarily need to purchase new cookwear, dishes and other kitchen utensills? Are some of us celiacs more sensitive than others? I want to do everything necessary, but not go overboard? Help please!

Sensitivity levels vary.

Replace items which are visibly scratched and could thus trap gluten. Replace sieves and colanders. Replace your toaster. Wooden spoons and cutting boards are porous.

Wash everything else thoroughly.

• Upvote 1

I think you just need to use good judgment. I did buy a new toaster, cutting board, wooden spoons, colander, etc., which I knew I'd never get clean. I also tossed out some ancient nonstick cookware, old Tupperware and things like that. I kept my good Calphalon hard anodized aluminum cookware and gave it a good scrubbing.

Basically my rule of thumb was that if I could get it clean, I kept it. If not, I replaced it or got rid of it. And for those things that I replaced, I did so based on what I used all the time. Not everything has to replaced at once. And now I'm finding it's just plain fun to get some new things. :lol:

Also remember, aluminum foil and parchment paper are your friends.

I did get a new toaster, to my surprise only $7 dollars, cheape at wal mart. I'll be sure and pick up a new colander, and replace everything else as needed. I have no wood items. Thanks!!

Same here. I replaced a lot of worn out stuff that it was simply time to replace either way. But then again if you go back sliding back into gluten, what then? Re-replace?

I bought a new toaster, waffle iron, pasta strainer and cutting boards. I had a few pots/pans that were worn and scratched, so hubby gets them for gluten items. I kept all my stainless steel cookware and calphalon that was in good shape. I did keep my jelly roll pans as I was able to get them scrubbed and cleaned. I did replace all of my metal bakeware because it was really worn and I couldn't clean it good enough. My glass/pyrex bakeware was cleaned and kept. I had some old worn plastic utensils that went to the hubby and I bought new. My crock pot had a removable pan that was non stick. It was really worn and scratched so I got rid of that. I also gave away my baking stone. Some people have reported that they could be cleaned, but I gave it to my brother. Family members thought it was Christmas when I went through and gave stuff away.