Ev7777

Exfoliate Naturally With Baking Soda

Rate this topic

We use baking soda instead of shampoo, and rinse with apple cider vinegar. It makes for soft, shiny hair.

We use baking soda instead of shampoo, and rinse with apple cider vinegar. It makes for soft, shiny hair.

Joy!

This might be a great idea for my 15 yr old. No shampoo seems to get his hair clean. Do you just sprinkle on a wet head? Mix it with water in a cup? I'm sure he will roll his eyes but if his hair looks better, his friends that are girls will tell him!

I get my hair wet and then put some in my hands and rub it through thoroughly. My partner mixes it in a cup first and makes it more liquid. Then I rinse a bit, pour some of the apple cider vinegar in a cup and pour that over my head (head tipped back!!!), then rinse with water.

Be careful as baking soda stings the eyes, and vinegar really hurts in a sour kind of way. You really don't want either of them in your eyes, it's much less pleasant than shampoo! If you do get it in your eyes, just flush with water for a good long while.

I did this for a while. My husband really hated the vinegar smell, so we compromised with lemon juice instead.

As an exfoliant I find baking soda dries my skin out. I use superfine baker's sugar and brown rice flour instead.

I don't use them as a shampoo, though!