twe0708

Peripheral Neuropathy

Rate this topic

I started experiencing a stinging feeling on my left calf, which from the research I have done points to Peripheral Neuropathy. I also have slight numbness on my ankles/top of feet, but only feel it when I apply lotion. Do I need to see a neurologist or can I just try to eat better and take my vitamins? Is there really anything that can be done if I have nerve damage?

If it is neuropathy the symptoms can be relieved by taking in more B12.

If it is neuropathy the symptoms can be relieved by taking in more B12.

... if it's related to B12 deficiency. There are plenty of other causes of neuropathy.

It's worth going to a doctor. For starters you can ask for a B12 test. You also need to be absolutely sure you haven't developed diabetes since the neuropathy is in your feet.

Besides the B12, my Kaiser Doc suggested alpha liphoic acid capsules which really have helped a lot. Make sure you have your blood sugar checked too.

I started experiencing a stinging feeling on my left calf, which from the research I have done points to Peripheral Neuropathy. I also have slight numbness on my ankles/top of feet, but only feel it when I apply lotion. Do I need to see a neurologist or can I just try to eat better and take my vitamins? Is there really anything that can be done if I have nerve damage?

I was even reading this morning how salt can damage the nerves.

Here is a link that you might find helpful. If you subscribe they will send up informative tidbits about neuropathy. http://www.realfoodnutrients.com/Neuropathy/home.htm?SID=Larissa111121

They have nice info on methyl-B12 and benfotiamine. It's crazy expensive though. The price is about triple what you would pay at a health food store. :blink:

They have nice info on methyl-B12 and benfotiamine. It's crazy expensive though. The price is about triple what you would pay at a health food store. :blink:

Yes, importance to have methyl when taking B vits for proper absorbtion. There's tabs inside the link where you can subscribe to get emails with info about neuropathy. I have been finding the reading material interesting.

The advertised product is expensive but I can vouche that it does work, it actually has been a life saver for me. I am sure there is probably something on the German economy where I live but trying to communicate is sometimes a real issue.