Hayley_1982

Awaiting Test Results

Rate this topic

Hi everyone

I am a 29 year old mother of one. I went back to work full time when my daughter was one, not through choice however my employer was not prepared to let me reduce my hours. I stuck it out for 9 months, however with a husband who is a chef it was hard as i did it all pretty much alone. I became very stressed and struggled to cope with it all... that's when it all started!!

I started getting a bloated tummy, excessive wind and tummy pains. I thought i was eating too much fibre so cut back - that didn't help. In the end i wrote a food diary and realised i was eating a lot of wheat. MY cereal, snacks, lunch and dinner all contained wheat!! I then reduced my wheat intake, this seemed to help. I didn't cut it out completely but i stripped it right back.

When i eat out i can be violently sick within hours after eating. I put this down to drinking wine with rich food (it happens in posh restaurants and with Indian food - both of which i have bread, i.e. a whole naan or a couple of bread rolls). Still not sure about this as i have the odd slice of toast and seem to be ok?!

I suffer constipation, which only came on this year and am taking Laxido for that. Being constipated is obviously causing tummy ache and discomfort and when i do go i never feel i have been properly!! (sorry if tmi).

I had a colonoscopy last month which came back fine but am just waiting for my blood results to come back for celiac. I don't think it is celiac as i think i would be much worse, however i do think it's a wheat intolerance! If it is just a wheat intolerance am i still welcome here?

This week i had pasta and garlic bread - that night my tummy was very uncomfortable and bloated and the next day the excessive wind kicked in. I am even more constipated and still bloated (but that could be the constipation). Yesterday i had some crackers with cheese and again, tummy has blown up and it just doesn't feel right - although i'm not in pain just uncomfortable - this is still the case this morning!!

So in a nutshell i seem to be ok without wheat, however porridge oats... seems to be ok.

What do you think? Thank you in advance.

It's impossible to say yet if you have celiac disease or not, best wait for the results of the blood test and the biopsies. Even if the blood test is negative I'd still ask for a biopsy, because there are some adults who have a negative blood test.

It's impossible to say yet if you have celiac disease or not, best wait for the results of the blood test and the biopsies. Even if the blood test is negative I'd still ask for a biopsy, because there are some adults who have a negative blood test.

Yes i am probably panicking too early!! I made my daughter pasta tonight and within half an hour my eyes were red and itchy, i was sneezing... like an allergic reaction. This week hasn't been good. The corner of my mouth is cracked, my tummy was bad Wednesday and Thursday after eating pasta... I will lay off the wheat until my results come back but i do know something just isn't right!!

I don't think it is celiac simply because i have oats every morning for breakfast and i don't think i am in enough pain.

Thank you for your feedback :-)

Oats are naturally gluten free, unless they are cross-contaminated with wheat (which they often are). Also, some celiacs do not tolerate even certified gluten free oats because the protein is very similar to the wheat apparently. Many others eat gluten free oats without problem.

You should probably continue eating gluten until your results come back because you may be referred for an endoscopy with biopsy, and you need to be on a full gluten diet for this test too.