pricklypear1971

Soy, Milk, Corn, Etc. Intolerances

Rate this topic

Ok, here's a question....

It occurred to me that with the gluten thing it's better for me to have dinner parties at my house... And if I want to be fair I need to accommodate other food intolerances.

So, for those of you who know....are other intolerances as tough to work around as gluten? Would a milk, egg, soy, etc. intolerant person be able to eat food I cook (if I leave it out) or are there cc issues like for gluten?

Allergies are another story, I'd assume an allergy is more difficult than intolerance (if I used soy flour I'd assume a person with soy allergies wouldn't want to be in my house).

To begin, I don't happen to know of a soy intolerance group, or a dairy intolerance group, etc., so perhaps my opinion is from a narrow viewpoint, since I read and participate in this gluten intolerance forum.

I do agree with your outlook that it might be easier (and it's certainly safer) to host a dinner party than to attend one someplace else. I do the same kind of thing with my family. So far, I'm the only one who is gluten-free, with meals or household environment.

The other items you mentioned (eggs, dairy, soy) I must avoid in addition to the gluten. I don't happen to know if a person needs to thoroughly scrub down to remove traces of these things from their kitchens. I haven't heard of it, but I suppose it's possible. I found out about all of my intolerances at about the same time, so probably the clearing out that I did for gluten most likely cleared out traces of those other things as well. There wasn't much left in my kitchen when I finished the purge!!! I don't think CC would be as much of a problem with the other things, mainly because they aren't usually finely ground, powdery, invasive, or glue-y (sticky), like gluten. They can cause discomfort when ingested, but I don't know of them causing actual physical damage to the body, like the gluten does (but I could be wrong about that).

As far as you cooking to avoid all of the above mentioned items, I find soy is at least as hard to avoid as gluten. The blasted stuff is in everything, and items that don't have gluten often have soy, and visa versa. If you find something that doesn't have gluten or soy, then it probably contains dairy, or egg. It's really difficult, unless you cook entirely from "scratch", as I almost always do.

There are decent substitutes for wheat flour, if one is willing to look a little and to cook from scratch. There are numerous substitutes for dairy. Substitutes for egg are not very good, in my humble opinion (they surely do not add egg taste and they aren't very good at adding egg texture, either). Very few scratch recipes call for soy (thank goodness!!).

This is probably more than you asked for. Enjoy being a hostess!! I would love to cook with you and trade dinner parties. :)

I don't know about anyone else, but I am so sensitive to corn that even one of those new plastic bottles that is made with a corn based plastic got me. And corn is even harder to avoid than gluten, for two reasons. First, it is cheap, so companies seem to add it to everything. And second, corn does not have to be listed in the ingredients the way wheat does here in the US.

But that being said, I'd be willing to bet that anyone who is that sensitive will bring their own food anyway. And since you are celiac, you would understand because you have had to do the same, I'm sure.

Hope you have a great time. Oh yeah, and you forgot to tell us when and where so we can all come! :lol:

I am super sensitive to soy .Soy CC is a major issue for me.

I have reacted to soy free (and gluten free) products that were processed at a facility that process soy (but not gluten) so I am sure the CC came from soy not gluten.

I react to EVERYTHING with soy or soy oil in or even near it :ph34r: