Celiac Ninja

Very Dry Skin

Rate this topic

I admit I wash my hands often, to keep them from cross contaminating foods that I touch while cooking in the kitchen. But some days my hands are so dry I can barely open them all the way. It's like the skin is super tight. My mom had egzema but my hands havn't split or gotten infected yet. Is it possible that soap is a major cause??

Dry skin all over the body as well, so I'm thinking shampoos too. Not sure. Need perspective.

All that washing is making them dry. Dry a gluten-free lotion or cream like Cera Ve. We use the cream & it's not too greasy. Keep it by the sink. My hub takes it in his pocket in a little pill container.

• Upvote 1

Vanicream is something I learned about on the forum. It's available at WalGreens and CVS. It used to be rx only. A little bit goes a long way. I prefer the original formula to the "light" version.

I never had a problem with dry skin until my diagnosis and the amount of hand-washing obscenely increased. I have noticed my knuckles bleeding occasionally, etc. from being cracked.

Lotion definitely helps.

The winter months, of course, have been worse.