BabsV

Amy's Shortbread Cookies

Rate this topic

I received several boxes of Amy's Shortbread Cookies (Classic and Almond) as a gift. The boxes say Gluten Free but reading the fine print it has that disclaimer of being made in a factory with wheat and some other possible allergens. I am finally starting to feel better after 4+ months gluten-free and I honestly don't know if I should try these or not. I'm not eating much gluten-free replacement food anyway but I don't want to pitch them if others have tried them without any problems...so, has anyone tried them? Or what about Amy's products in general? I don't have easy access to them currently but will be moving back to the Washington DC area in June 2012 and I know they are easy to find there!

I have noticed that on every single Amy's item. How can a company state clearly on a package that it is a gluten free product when in small print it says it's made in a place where wheat is handled? Isn't this false advertising? And the health food store where I shop sells Amy's line in their gluten free area! Really?! I have so wanted to post something about this and I'm glad you gave me the opportunity. Thank you. As for the Amy's gluten free line, I'm not eating any of it. If it were me I'd give the cookies away to a family member, friend, or food pantry.

I have noticed that on every single Amy's item. How can a company state clearly on a package that it is a gluten free product when in small print it says it's made in a place where wheat is handled? Isn't this false advertising? And the health food store where I shop sells Amy's line in their gluten free area! Really?! I have so wanted to post something about this and I'm glad you gave me the opportunity. Thank you. As for the Amy's gluten free line, I'm not eating any of it. If it were me I'd give the cookies away to a family member, friend, or food pantry.

In the US, because there are no laws about gluten-free labelling, they do not have to even put that part about shared facilities. Most companies do not tell you what else is made in thier factory. Thus, for most products you buy, you don't know if its a shared facility or not.

If you've ever let a sandwich, cookie, or pizza in your house, you live in a shared facility. There are standard procedures to wash lines between runs, in the case of shared equipment, or segregate items in the case of shared facilities only. Some do react to products made in shared facilities or on shared equipment, but most don't. You have to find out for yourself if you are one of those who does.

I have had products made on shared equipmente and I shared facilities and am fine with them. I've had Amy's short ad cookies too, and been fine with them. Im sure this is note a universal, on size fits all answer, however.

Thanks for the responses. I'll hold on to them and once I'm further along in the healing process I'll try one as a 'test.' Or I'll just serve them at parties or potlucks with gluten eaters so it isn't a problem!

Amy's tests for gluten and states that their gluten-free products will be below 20 ppm. You would probably be just fine having a couple Amy's cookies.

[quote I've had Amy's short ad cookies too, and been fine with them. Im sure this is note a universal, on size fits all answer, however.