Guest flowermom6117

Finding It Hard To Feed Her Things I Know Make Her Sick

Rate this topic

Guest flowermom6117

Still waiting on the GI doc to return to the country. I am having a hard time knowing what to feed my 4 yr old. They tell me to still feed her the gluten but not the other things she is allergic to, such as eggs, peanut butter, oat, and corn. How do I change her diet twice. She is allergic to wheat too but isn't that gluten? The doctors seems so unwilling to teach me anything till she see the GI doc for her celliac test. I do not understand all this and the doc doesn't really seem to be helping.

Hello and welcome.

Yes, wheat is indeed gluten. The reason they hae told you to keep giving it to her is that the GI will want to test for celiac and the tests will be negative if there is no gluten in her system. The blood tests detect antibodies to gluten in the blood stream, and these antibodies start disappearing as soon as gluten is withdrawn. The withdrawal of corn, eggs, peanut butter and oats will not affect the testing.

Many of us are intolerant of other foods in addition to gluten, so it is not unusual to have several intolerances. Yes, it is hard to keep changing their diets around when they get used to certain foods. Try as much as possible to give her whole foods, meat, vegetables, fish, fruit - and of course, gluten. Since gluten is so hard to avoid it shouldn't be hard to find enough gluten for her since 4-year-olds love things like cookies. You could give her toast and jelly without the PB - it all depends on her tastes and how picky she is.

I hope the GI is returning soon. :)