Gluten Free Girls

Shouldn't We Be Better By Now?

Rate this topic

My 6 year old, 12 year old and I were all diagnosed with Celiac disease at the end of June. We will be meeting with our doctor at the end of this week to see if our numbers have dropped at all. I am scared to death that we will go to this visit and find out that we aren't doing things correctly. My girls immune systems seem to be worse rather than better and my youngest still has the extremely dried and cracked lips as well as thinning hair. I think I'm desparate for a sign that we're headed in the right direction. My girls and I have never suffered any gastrointestinal symptoms so we haven't been able to use this as a measurement. Any insights? I know that in general it could take a year to repair our intestines, but I need some sign that we're heading in the right direction.

Well all I know is that: Perhaps your daughter has thinning hair and dry skin(cracked lips) from a thyroid problem. Which is very commonly associated with gluten intolerance. The good news is that you don't have any gastrointestinal symptoms because they are awful.

I will give you the general rundown of things a lot of people don't know have gluten in them or gluten on them. (Because you are new I don't know how much you know).

Toasters-gluten lives in toasters you may need a new one.

Pills, Medications, and Supplements-very commonly have wheat in them. Benefiber has gluten in it.

Lotions, Shampoos, and Conditioners- All 3 of mine had "hydrogenized wheat product" which is gluten. Made me itchy all the time.

Any food fried in a fryer that has breaded food fried in it has gluten contamination.

Thats the things I think people look over quite frequently, maybe more info and we can help you!

Booghead has a lot of good advice. It may also be because the damage to all of your intestines was severe. It took me longer than 6 months to feel good again so it really just depends on the person. Unfortunately, there is only so much you can do as the body simply needs time to heal. Continue to be diligent in not letting gluten sneak in and hopefully you will all feel better soon! Hang in there. It really does get better.

It sounds as though you might all be suffering from vitamin, mineral, and/or hormonal deficiencies. Your daughter with the thinning hair and dry lips should be checked for all deficiencies, especially B12, zinc, and manganese. If she hasn't been checked for diabetes, this should also be done since celiacs share a gene with diabetics. Doctors should alwayscheck each disease when a child presents with one of them.

As for doing things "right," it takes time to discover all the ways that we can get cc'd. Your daughters would especially be at risk because they probably visit friends and attend school. All you can do is your best....and, over time, your health should improve.