suziq0805

Soy And/or Lactose Intolerance?

Rate this topic

Over Christmas break I decided to take lactose and soy out of my 21 month old's diet (in addition to gluten). I decided to try this because I think he should be having stools that are a bit firmer than they are. Over the last couple days it looks like there may be some improvements. I'm wondering if there are tests that can be done to test for lactose and soy intolerance. I see there are some for lactose, but the intenet said not all doctors will test in toddlers, but didn't find any info for soy.

I am casein allergic and soy allergic. I was dx with skin testing. There are a number of tests that can be done for dairy issues. There is a blood test called a milk subfraction test that breaks up the dairy into about 3 or 4 components and tests for reaction to each. There is another kind of test for lactose intolerance but I am not familira with that one. I don't know if these tests are done on little ones or if they are accurate.

You can order stool testing through E n t e r o l a b which will test for sensitivity to both soy and milk.

As someone who has both of these sensitivities I say skip the test and proceed with adjusting the diet. Suppose the test comes back positive. Okay great---adjust diet. Suppose test comes back negative? Then what? You've seen the results. They seem good. Go with it.

If it is a true allergy you can do the skin testing. Most of the time in young children it is a protein intolerance. This is known as Milk/Soy Protein Intolerance (MSPI). There is no test for this. Also, if there is an issue with gluten and the intestine is currently in the healing phase there is a good chance that your LO will not tolerate dairy.

He's had allergy tests done so we know he's not allergic to soy or dairy. Testing would be nice because we've also suspected c.diff. a few times. He had so many ear infections last year and was on numerous courses of antibiotics, so it's possible he had issues with that too.

He's had allergy tests done so we know he's not allergic to soy or dairy. Testing would be nice because we've also suspected c.diff. a few times. He had so many ear infections last year and was on numerous courses of antibiotics, so it's possible he had issues with that too.

If you do the stoool testing through Genova labs they can test for soy, milk, c.diff. or any other parasite all at once I believe.