jcronan

Help! Am I Normal?

Rate this topic

HELP!

I am new to the forum and to the Gluten Free lifestlyle. I am still waiting to hear back on the genetic testing. I had an Endoscopy & Colonoscopy done last month and they were inconclusive for Celiacs, but confirmed Chron's. My GI seems to feel based on my symptoms and medical history that there is a good possibility that it is either Celiacs or some other related intolerance. It has been 2 weeks since I took the blood test and I am going crazy waiting. I was told this often has to be sent out to an out-of-state lab and it could take longer than most tests.

I have many of the symptoms of celiacs including a diagnosis when I was an infant. It was never explained to my mother at the time and when I started eating solid foods she simply included wheat/gluten based products in my diet. I have had severe headaches (including migranes) and sinus issues- however my stomach issues have been off & on until the past few years. Now I have issues after almost everything I eat. Additionally, I have had a great deal of weight gain in the past 2 years, desipte a healthy diet & regular exercise. I even ran my first marathon a few months ago. As soon as my training stopped, the pounds came on like crazy even though I still run and cross train frequently.

After reading a great deal on going Gluten free I decided that I would take the plunge and started a few days ago. I do not eat meat (only fish) so it has not been all that easy.

I am looking for any advice from those who have had similar experience. Should I stick to the gluten-free diet? Should I introduce some meat back into my diet? And most of all, will I stop obsessing over this once I learn more?

If you had a diagnosis as an infant, you have Celiac Disease. It doesn't go away and you don't get over it. Yes, you MUST stick to the diet. See previous statement. :) And I've always considered fish to be meat! :o And probably no, you won't stop obsessing! =) Depends on how seriously you take this disease I guess. I don't think that having an ongoing, continuing interest in your longterm health and extending your life is an obsession. But that is just my opinion. I may be obsessed with it myself and so not the best judge for that answer. :lol:

If you had a diagnosis as an infant, you have Celiac Disease. It doesn't go away and you don't get over it. Yes, you MUST stick to the diet. See previous statement. :) And I've always considered fish to be meat! :o And probably no, you won't stop obsessing! =) Depends on how seriously you take this disease I guess. I don't think that having an ongoing, continuing interest in your longterm health and extending your life is an obsession. But that is just my opinion. I may be obsessed with it myself and so not the best judge for that answer. :lol:

thanks for the information. I should clarify, although I was diagnosed as a child, my mother doesn't believe they ever tested me. Her fading memory & the lack of records going back that far (I am 41 now) is the reason I can't be sure they were accurate. As far as the fish-- I don't claim to be a vegetarian (although I was for many years). I haven't had meat other than fish for over 20 years so it is usually easier to explain that way. Again, I appreciate the advice. I hope that my obsession will help me to keep focused.

Well if you were diagnosed as a child there must have been some significant indicators sufficient for a diagnosis at the time.

On another note, while not a vegetarian (opposite in fact as I eat mostly meat), there are a number of vegetarians and vegans on the board here. What specifically is it that is causing you to feel it will be difficult to maintain a gluten-free life as a low or non meat-eater?

Well if you were diagnosed as a child there must have been some significant indicators sufficient for a diagnosis at the time.

On another note, while not a vegetarian (opposite in fact as I eat mostly meat), there are a number of vegetarians and vegans on the board here. What specifically is it that is causing you to feel it will be difficult to maintain a gluten-free life as a low or non meat-eater?

I agree the childhood diagnosis does probably mean that it is very likely going to be positive. It amazed me that the doctors would give such a serious diagnosis with so little information to my parents. My mom felt terrible when I told her all of the typical Celiac symptoms that I have dealt with for years and not having thought about going back to the doctors about it.

I think my concern about keeping the meat out of my diet is not having much left to eat. I could imagine if I did eat meat that it would be easier. I do dine out and and travel quite a bit for my job, so I am concerned about that adjustment in those situations. I don't plan on rushing into anything either way. I was just given the name of a highly recommended nutritionist who I plan to consult with before making further changes. I will also looked to connect with some of the vegetarians on the board to see how they have been managing.

Thanks for the support :)