This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Finally Have Some Answers...now I Have Even More Questions

jcronan

jcronan Rookie

After waiting for what seemed like eternity, I finally heard back from my doctor. She said I tested positive for Celiacs (amongst other things). So while I am relieved to finally know what I am dealing with... and quite frankly happy to know it was not all just in my head, I am quite anxious to know what lies ahead. I have already started a gluten free diet (only 5 days ago) so I know I am on the right track, but I just am overwhelmed. I even had a dream about a wheat field the other night (I wish I was joking about that). Does anyone have any advice for how to deal with the anxiety that comes along with the diagnosis?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ravenwoodglass Mentor

It is overwhelming at first and some of us will go through withdrawl that will make us anxious or moody. That does pass. Do start out with mostly whole foods, fruit, veggies, fresh meats and chicken, rice and potatoes. That will help you heal and help keep accidental glutening to a minimum. It is a good idea to drop dairy also for a bit. Most of us can add it back in after we have healed. When your feeling better start with yogurt and hard cheeses and see if you tolerate them.

Read as much as you can here and ask any questions you may have. I hope you are feeling better soon.

jcronan Rookie

It is overwhelming at first and some of us will go through withdrawl that will make us anxious or moody. That does pass. Do start out with mostly whole foods, fruit, veggies, fresh meats and chicken, rice and potatoes. That will help you heal and help keep accidental glutening to a minimum. It is a good idea to drop dairy also for a bit. Most of us can add it back in after we have healed. When your feeling better start with yogurt and hard cheeses and see if you tolerate them.

Read as much as you can here and ask any questions you may have. I hope you are feeling better soon.

Thank you for the advice. I am spending my day cleaning out the pantry and then heading to the store. I will keep your suggestions in mind. I am not big on processed foods anyway... I figured out a long time ago that I had strange reactions to them. I just didn't realize exactly what the right root cause was. Thanks again for the support.

lc1333 Apprentice

Thank you for the advice. I am spending my day cleaning out the pantry and then heading to the store. I will keep your suggestions in mind. I am not big on processed foods anyway... I figured out a long time ago that I had strange reactions to them. I just didn't realize exactly what the right root cause was. Thanks again for the support.

I feel your pain, I went gluten-free about 5 days ago now, and the other night I had a dream I was running down the hallway eating a Butterfinger, trying to not get caught!!!

Bubba's Mom Enthusiast

It IS a bit overwhelming at first! I think you are off to a good start? Going through your pantry, condiments, and spices and getting rid of anything with gluten is a great idea. Then they won't be there to grab accidentally.

I think a LOT of us are anxious about gluten and trace gluten? Many of us go through a sort of withdrawl at first too? It's a big change in our lives to suddenly find out it's dangerous to us, and it's everywhere around us!

It helps us keep "on our toes" though, right?

Also, if you are low on some vitamins/minerals it can give you anxiety as a symptom. I hope your Dr. ran blood panels to check these for you? If not, request them.

If your anxiety gets worse and interferes with your ability to do the things you want to do, tell your Dr. It might be helpful to have some medication to settle it down?

There are a lot of posts here about how to get your kitchen free from gluten, so read what you find. If you have any questions..just ask! :D

Archived