Rate this topic

Just got a call back from the nurse in my son's GI office saying the pathology report (they were reviewing the slides from a scope done elsewhere a year ago) is in but the doc is out of town til Wednesday so I don't get to hear anything about it til then. <_<

So, I get to sit and stew about it for several more days. So in that case, anyone want to help me figure out what the blood test results mean. Most everything I am pretty clear on, but what about a borderline gliadin IgG? My son's result was 19 and positive is anything 20 and above. What is that test measuring exactly?

If it's the new gliadin peptide IgG it's measuring antibodies that react to a form of gliadin only created by people with celiac disease. It's very sensitive and specific for celiac. The "borderline" reading means he is somewhere between "definitely negative" and "definitely celiac".

If it's the old anti-gliadin antibody test, it means he might be gluten-sensitive but it's not a terribly strong indicator of celiac. You might have to check the lab's website or call them to find out exactly which test he got.

Thanks Skylark. I've also been doing some reading. Is it fair and accurate to say that the gliadin IgG is measuring a reaction to gluten in particular? So his elevated tTG is indicating an inflammatory or autoimmune response in his body and the gliadin IgG is saying his body is responding unfavorably to gluten? If so, you put the 2 together and I'm fairly convinced we've got our answer (even if the IgG is technically in the normal range).

FWIW, I am pretty sure its the newer gliadin IgG test rather than the anti-gliadin IgG. The test was done at the Celiac Disease Center in Chicago - people go there when they don't get answers elsewhere, right? I would expect them to have the latest tests. Also all the people talking about the test have been saying gliadin IgG, not anti-gliadin...

Right. TTG is an autoantibody that shows up in celiac disease but also some other autoimmune diseases. If you have deamidated gliadin antibodies present as well, it means that gluten is probably triggering the autoimmunity.

Right. TTG is an autoantibody that shows up in celiac disease but also some other autoimmune diseases. If you have deamidated gliadin antibodies present as well, it means that gluten is probably triggering the autoimmunity.

Awesome! That's the piece of the puzzle we still needed. I'm curious how the doctor will analyze it. I wonder if a 19 is enough to convince him that gluten is a problem? Or maybe its a mute point. If the re-analysis of the scope showed damage then it doesn't matter.