SleepyBunny

Gtt Results And Other Lab Results

Rate this topic

The dr wanted a GTT run because I had been having problems feeling weak. Usually within a few hours of eating I would start to feel this way. He also wanted to check my thyroid (been on levothyroxine 0.75 for a few months now) again and checked some other levels.

GTT

Glucose Fasting: 71.2

Glucose 1 hr post load: 185.0

Glucose 2 hr post load: 177.0

Insulin: <2

BUN/Creatinine Ration: 22.2 (Range 6.0-22.0)

Platelets: 110.0

Cortisol: 17.4

SED Rate: 2 (Range < or =20)

ANA IFA Screen: Negative

Rheumatiod Factor: 5 (Range <14)

Thyroid

FT4: 1.4600

TSH: 1.130

I have been having knee pain so he suggested Zyflamend. Also I've still been having some trouble with sleeping a lot. I feel more awake than I have before once I'm up but it could still be better so he also suggested Rhodila. I've still been having problems with c. It almost seems to happen in waves. I'll go fine for a few days and then everything just comes to a stand still. I'd like to lose another 10lbs (oh I'm sorry 15 now since I haven't been able to go) :( It's discouraging to see weight gain when you are trying to lose even if you know why. I've been taking ginger caps, putting ground flax seed in my food when I think too and taking magesium citrate 800mg. He seems to think it maybe emotinal (stress). It could be I don't know. I just want to be regular already :( So any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. :)

So did you doctor make any diet recommendations based on your GTT?

I was getting ultra-sleepy after eating white rice or potatoes. My blood sugar seems lots more stable eating GAPS, where I have lots of fats for energy and most of my carbs come from fruit. If I have grains or especially sugar I find I get c for a couple days.

So did you doctor make any diet recommendations based on your GTT?

I was getting ultra-sleepy after eating white rice or potatoes. My blood sugar seems lots more stable eating GAPS, where I have lots of fats for energy and most of my carbs come from fruit. If I have grains or especially sugar I find I get c for a couple days.

He basically told me last time to be careful what things I eat that might cause my sugar to spike. When I started feeling weak after eating I was eating oranges. He told me those cos blood sugar to spike. I was also eating bananas. Same thing :l He told me if I eat things like that to eat something like nuts with it to keep my sugar from spiking.

I was trying not to eat grains either. Did it for a few weeks but he told me to try brown rice. I also feel grains back me up. Actually I think I did ok eating white rice occasionally. Lately I've been kinda on a binge. Eating enjoy life chocolate chip cookies and rice chips and overdosing on fruity pebbles. lol I get frustrated sometimes and do that. :( I get tired of making my food sometimes and get upset when I feel like the stuff I'm eating should be cleaning me out and it doesn't. So I'll say screw it and eat that stuff and just get worse. :( Funny thing is when I eat cookies and cereal I don't get that weak feelling after eating. So I'm trying to go back to mainly eating salads and chicken and vegetables. This may sound like a weird question but do you ever feel like eating more when you have c? I know sometimes I have no appetite. But there's times where even with no appetite I'll start eating and just keep going. I don't know if it's my body wanting something or maybe it's telling me to eat more to help move things along? What do you think?

My c isn't that bad. I only figured out that it's related to sugar or too many grains recently and I'll get d as easily as c if I eat stuff that doesn't agree with me. I haven't noticed any appetite changes with it. I'll find I'm hungry if I don't get enough fatty food. I'll eat a big bowl of salad and want more food until I realize I should have some avocado or nuts.

I will say what your doc might not.

I'm sorry but your Gtt results are not normal and not non-diabetic. With a below normal fasting, normal being about 83, anything in the 70's being slightly hypo by some, your doc may be stumped as to what/ if he can give you. They are used to seeing a certain pattern and some of us don't fit the boxes. You need to be agressive about getting your numbers down, IMHO, or your pancreas will have to work to hard and long-term you may have unwanted consequences and deterioration of control. But you have the power to gain back control and stop it in it's tracks. 140 is the number at which tissue damage occurs, which leads to long-term complications . My doc said I should stay under 140 at all times.

Eating nuts with a banana will NOT help you prevent that spike. Try it, test it and see. Nuts have insufficient protein and fats in comparison to the glucose load of the banana. Given your numbers, your body cannot cope with that. You can try half a banana and see if you can get under target. If not, you may have to forego bananas if you don't have any meds or insulin to assist you.

Eating protein and some fat does help a lot to dull the spike, but you need the right sources for protein and sufficient amounts and you need too make the right carb(glucose) choices in addition to come up with the winning combo that will keep your BG in check. Meat and eggs are the PRO sources that will help the most. Beans count more as carbs from a blood sugar standpoint. Nuts are a good snack as they do have fat and PRO but they are a good snack-alone! not with fruit(for those of us who's BG can't cope with fruit).

I recommend that you read this site. http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/index.php

If you don't have a meter, you should. Test everyday!

How long have you been gluten-free? Some report better BG after a while. I was 5 yrs gluten-free and not so fortunate. I do have food allergies that I have found raise my BG and by managing them, my BG lowers and I get more milage from the other things I do to manage BG.

I have normal fastings and high post-meals and have slow onset type 1. I had to educate myself and advocate a lot. I can still have numbers in the 70's and normal fastings but I take insulin to help with those high post-meal numbers. If you don't see improvement you may want to read up on L.A.D.A. Type 1.5 and ask for GAD antibody tests and a serum c-petide test. The serum C-peptide test is helpful in determining how much insulin a person is producing and helps distinguish between type 1 and 2 and where on the spectrum we are. You may be more like a type 2, but I mention the antibody test because we here are more vulnerable to autoimmune diabetes and this particular adult onset type 1, which often goes mis-dx or undx.

Best wishes to you. Once you get a handle on this, you may feel a lot better. Those numbers are surely contributing to you not feeling well and maybe that the feeling both of not being hungry and cravings. Ask any ?'s you may have. I've done everything but meds. Been gestational, 10 years later mis-dx type 2 where I had no meds or insulin and did ADA diet, the low-carb diabetes diet for 2 years. Now T1.5 and moderate carbs with insulin as and if needed. I'm not a doc so you are free to ignore my post. I don't know everyything. I just care and share what I've learned along the way and don't want anyone to have to go through what I did or end up where I am, if it can be prevented. There is so much that can be done and the earlier the better.

If you already use flax, try these, which will be much friendlier to your BG and easier than the usual gluten-free baking! No 5 flours to mix up!

http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/breads/r/flaxbasicfoc.htm

http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/breads/r/appleflaxmuffin.htm

There are some pizza crsut recipes out there too. google low-carb flax and whatever it is you are looking for.

I highly recommend this "solution" to blood sugar management. http://www.diabetes-book.com/ Saved me while I was mis-dx and without any meds or insulin. Dr. B has diabetes and his low-carb plan is specifically designed for diabetes and very compatible with gluten-free. There is a forum too and some gluten-free/ Celiac members and lots of recipes. His book Diabetes Solution has a too gimmicky title but is a very good basic care manual for any diabetic whether or not you decide follow his methods. Dr. B played an important part in the fact that we have personal meter today. He was one of, if not the first one to use one of/if not the first meter to test his blood sugar at home.

And finally, some find a Paleo diet works well for diabetes management and is gluten-free compatible. This site is popular and has some good recipes. http://www.marksdailyapple.com/fajita-frittata-with-avocado-salsa/#axzz1lAekZVPe

I'm a little freaked out now. :( I know that you are just telling me the truth missy'smom and you've replied to some of my posts before and I appreciate it so much. I have been gluten free since Aug well probably more like Sept due to mistakes and not knowing much. It seems like all these problems are coming out of no where. First the gluten thing then thyroid and now this. I'm so confused and don't even know where to start. I do have a lot of questions but don't know where to begin. :(

Ok I don't eat gluten, dairy (occasionally will eat a cookie with real chocolate but try to avoid it. Don't seem to have a reaction to things like this but milk or cream or things like ice cream I do react), not really eating legumes except peas and chickpeas (hummus on occasion), no read meat, trying hard not to eat soy but it's everywhere! I take vegan supplements multiviatmin, ginger, vitamin d, dha&epa, joint support, and magenisum when I can.

So does this mean I'm diabetic?!? They tested my sugar this morning and it was at 86. I just don't understand how this can be a problem. I eat so much better than I used to. I was overweight (not huge but chubby lol) I've lost about 35lbs and try to exercise. What else can I do? They tell you do this do that oh but not too much of this and that. It's so confusing. He said if my sugar had been at 200 that would be diabetic. I've been trying to read some of the books people on here have suggested about thyroid and it makes me want to not take my medicine. You know find an alternative. See what else isn't working right fix it so everything else will start working right. You tell your dr that and the response is that natural medicine can sometimes go overboard. Now my head hurts. :( So what can I eat? It's already a miracle that I actually eat salad now. I've been making salad with romaine lettuce and now spinach and arougala (sp?). I put carrots, flax seed, chicken and some kind of gfdf dressing. I like potatoes a lot and will eat those with chicken. I was eating broccolli, green beans or peas with chicken sometimes but I get tired or steaming broccolli. :( I know I know I just need to suck it up. Also I'll make turkey chili and freeze it. That helps. Sorry I'm babling. :( Help :(

I'm a little freaked out now. :( I know that you are just telling me the truth missy'smom and you've replied to some of my posts before and I appreciate it so much. I have been gluten free since Aug well probably more like Sept due to mistakes and not knowing much. It seems like all these problems are coming out of no where. First the gluten thing then thyroid and now this. I'm so confused and don't even know where to start. I do have a lot of questions but don't know where to begin. :(

Ok I don't eat gluten, dairy (occasionally will eat a cookie with real chocolate but try to avoid it. Don't seem to have a reaction to things like this but milk or cream or things like ice cream I do react), not really eating legumes except peas and chickpeas (hummus on occasion), no read meat, trying hard not to eat soy but it's everywhere! I take vegan supplements multiviatmin, ginger, vitamin d, dha&epa, joint support, and magenisum when I can.

So does this mean I'm diabetic?!? They tested my sugar this morning and it was at 86. I just don't understand how this can be a problem. I eat so much better than I used to. I was overweight (not huge but chubby lol) I've lost about 35lbs and try to exercise. What else can I do? They tell you do this do that oh but not too much of this and that. It's so confusing. He said if my sugar had been at 200 that would be diabetic. I've been trying to read some of the books people on here have suggested about thyroid and it makes me want to not take my medicine. You know find an alternative. See what else isn't working right fix it so everything else will start working right. You tell your dr that and the response is that natural medicine can sometimes go overboard. Now my head hurts. :( So what can I eat? It's already a miracle that I actually eat salad now. I've been making salad with romaine lettuce and now spinach and arougala (sp?). I put carrots, flax seed, chicken and some kind of gfdf dressing. I like potatoes a lot and will eat those with chicken. I was eating broccolli, green beans or peas with chicken sometimes but I get tired or steaming broccolli. :( I know I know I just need to suck it up. Also I'll make turkey chili and freeze it. That helps. Sorry I'm babling. :( Help :(

I edited my post a bit so please go back and read. Mostly for tone but I added a few things and a link I forgot to put in. Well, if doc wants to wait 'till you hit 200 and you are close enough, why wait! I don't want to scare you and I know it's scary. This is my gripe with docs. I was unxd 10yrs! and the docs ignored me and when I finally demanded testing I had lost much of my own ability to produce insulin. I walked around as type 1 for 2 yrs without insulin or meds! diet alone. The good news to you on that is that I could still get non-diabetic, healthy numbers with careful control and I didn't starve! I actually tried to gain since I was underweight and I was able to! So a lot can be done. The choices are yours to make but you don't have to wait and you don't have to just accept the current status.

Dr. Bernestein says, and on one level it is true, "doesn't matter what you call it, treat the blood sugar!" Although this is not to ignore the fact that there is some sorting out of the issue of whether a person is insulin resistant or insulin deficient to help sort out some treatment methods.

My fastings are still often around 86. They often wait 'till they are over 100, but I would have ended up in a BAD way if I had waited for that. Your ogtt shows that is the pattern for you as well, so it is more important for you to test after meals. You should test at both 1 and 2 hrs. post and it might be a good idea to check 3 hrs out as well, a few times at least. My Ogtt was a 3 hr. and showed that my BG barely budged down at 3 hrs still.

Legumes are fine. Chickpeas might be the least impacting on BG. As a snack, some hummus and veg is good and beans with a meal as a carb are good. I just think it is wise to test and be careful if you are counting them as your protein to balance out another carb that you are eating with, otherwise, with no animal protein, you may find that beans+ another carb(rice)= double carbs and increased rather than balanced BG impact. Does that make sense? I can eat a salad with 20 some grams or 4 oz. of PRO(meat) and a 1/3 c. chickpeas, no other carbs or fruit and skip a shot-no insulin. My body can handle that and it is filling enough. We all vary, but that works for me.

Despite what they say, fats are not evil. Fats alone, like the avacado mentioned, don't cause a problem with blood sugar or cholesterol etc. It's that combo of high carbs/fast acting carbs and high fats/trans-fats and calories that can get people in trouble.

I have other necessary dietary restrictions too so I understand. I am allergic to casein and soy and quite strongly.

Feel free to PM me anytime if your not ready for questions just yet. I get e-mail notification even if I don't cone here.

missy'smom knows a ton about diabetes and I don't. I'll let her make food suggestions.

You don't have to worry about small amounts of soy for thyroid. What you don't want to do is make a habit of eating big amounts of soy like tofu. Organic soy sauce or a little soy in processed foods shouldn't be a problem.

As for the books, remember they say it's OK to take thyroid if you have elevated TSH. I know that desire to fix things naturally because I have it too. So far, I haven't figured out how to fix big thyroid problems. Did you ever get your Hashimoto's test by the way? You also still sound kind of hypothyroid. You probably also read that not everyone feels better on T4-only. If Armour makes you really uncomfortable you could talk to your Dr. about synthetic T3. The brand name is Cytomel. It helps me a lot.

@missy's mom - what you said does make sense. I'm not afraid of fats (avacados are gross though lol) I do want to fix this and have no problems doing that. I just keep hearing different information about everything and it makes it confusing and frustrating. I'm here to learn! :) I'll have to have my husband do the finger prick because I'll freak out. lol When the nurse did it today I yanked my hand away out of habit. I was so afraid she'd have to do it again. :o I'm going to have to find a way to plan my meals better. I have a weird work schedule and am no way a morning person. I work afternoons-evenings and usually wake up an hour or two before work. I'll pick at stuff before work and take a salad or chili and some fruit. I've been trying to eat apples, strawberries, peaches...fruits like that as a "dessert". I don't like that I crave sugar after meals. It makes me eat the stuff that porbably cause it to spike. When I first wake up I'm usually not hungry either but I'll eat something to take my supplements with. I try not to eat after work since it's late but I usually do. I want to learn how to eat to help all of this and help lose a more pounds too.

@Skylark - I haven't completely cut out soy but just try not to eat too much. I put gluten free soy sauce on my chicken with some herbs before I cook it. :) I asked at my dr's office and endo's office for a hashi's test and by the time I have a chance to ask I'm always around a nurse and they always say well the dr has to order it. :l Last time my endo said he tested for antibodies or something to that effect and things were fine. I'm calling tomorrow to get the tests and results for myself. I don't think either one has tested for T3. I'm not vegan or vegetarian but I am trying to cut down on animal products as much as I can with the exception of meals. So a synthetic thyroid would be ideal :) Do you think the T3 may help with my tummy and sleepy problems as well as fixing my diet for my blood sugar? (this question can be answered by you or missy'smom since she knows a lot about blood sugar stuff :) )

If it makes you fee any better, I am a fainter and when I first started checking my BG, my hubby did it for me, but I am an old pro now ;) I have quite a story about those early days and what it took to get it done-when I had gestational.

I am not a morning person either so planning and make ahead and keeping it simple helped. Before I became allergic to both flax and almond meal :( I made low-carb muffins and had them with slices of deli ham or turkey-watching the sugars/carbs per serving.

Where there's a will, there's a way!

I think you should ask your endo if the T3 might help with your sleepy problem and weight gain. I don't know about thyroid and the blood sugar but getting on the right amount/type of thyroid might get you losing weight a little more easily, and that will certainly improve the blood sugar.

Ok I called the endo to get my results from a month or 2 ago.

TSH 3.11

FT4 1.2

Antithyroglobulin (I believe this is what she called it) <20

TPO <10

Not sure if the last two are normal. She didn't give me ranges. I looked up some dr's on the Thryroid Top Dr's list and found one on my insurance and my dr's office is getting me a referral. The endo I have now is a nice guy but he doesn't really go into much detail about any of this and the 2 hour wait for a 10 minute visit is getting a little old lol I really want to learn about all of this so I know what's going on and can work on making it better. I really hope this new endo will help with that.

I tried to send you a PM SleepyBunny but got the message that you can't use the messagig system? Don't know what's up with that. Maybe your settings? Maybe start a post on how to send PM's in the technical help forum.

Oh, and there's a little envelope symbol under your avatar on the left side of your posts. I can click on that to send you a PM, but I see that mine doesn't have it. Hmmm, do you see one? I'll have to check into that.

Hi SleepyBunny,

Your situation sounds a lot like my spouse. He had no positive tests for celiac, and his blood sugar was off. Fortunately, like you, it was caught early. Missy'smom has given you excellent advice; I am just expanding on her remarks.

The Bloodsugar 101 website she mentioned also comes in book form if that would be easier for you to read.

Another helpful source of information for all matters blood sugar is the Bernstein Diabetes Forum. His approach is very low carb, which may not be appropriate for you. On the other hand, there's a lot of general advice and support for blood sugar issues, such as using the sides of your fingertips as places to test. In addition, most of their recipes are very blood sugar friendly and generally gluten free. It is easier to start out low carb and ramp up the carbs than the other way around.

http://www.diabetes-book.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl

Getting your blood sugar under control could help all of the issues that you've mentioned, even the sleep.

One last remark - you said:

" Funny thing is when I eat cookies and cereal I don't get that weak feelling after eating"

That could be because you are digesting those foods very differently and the carbohydrates are hitting your blood stream at a different point in time compared with other meals.

and one question - why are you not eating red meat? There's so many possible reasons....

Thank you for your reply. I will be looking at the mentioned websites. All of this is so much to take in in such a short period of time. I lived off of pasta, potatoes and cheese growing up so hearing that I have to again change my eating habbits is overwhelming. Having all of this sometimes makes it hard for me to comprehend and concentrate on what I'm reading and how I get my thoughts out so bare with me. :) Why is this even happening? I don't understand. Did I do something? Is it the way my body works? Was it from my past eating habbits? Genetics? All of the above? How do I test my sugar without wanting to run away from myself? lol :D Should I back off of fruit? That's my sweets since I'm trying to stay away from grains as best I can. Sorry for all the questions.

In regards to red meat. Well I'll put it this way if I could I'd be vegetarian (animal lover). I don't like that I eat meat but I don't like enough vegetables to go vegetarian and I'm guessing with this blood sugar thing it's probably better that I eat some. I just eat chicken, turkey and some seafood.

Thank you for your reply. I will be looking at the mentioned websites. All of this is so much to take in in such a short period of time. I lived off of pasta, potatoes and cheese growing up so hearing that I have to again change my eating habbits is overwhelming. Having all of this sometimes makes it hard for me to comprehend and concentrate on what I'm reading and how I get my thoughts out so bare with me. :) Why is this even happening? I don't understand. Did I do something? Is it the way my body works? Was it from my past eating habbits? Genetics? All of the above? How do I test my sugar without wanting to run away from myself? lol :D Should I back off of fruit? That's my sweets since I'm trying to stay away from grains as best I can. Sorry for all the questions.

In regards to red meat. Well I'll put it this way if I could I'd be vegetarian (animal lover). I don't like that I eat meat but I don't like enough vegetables to go vegetarian and I'm guessing with this blood sugar thing it's probably better that I eat some. I just eat chicken, turkey and some seafood.

Bunny, you ask a lot of the questions that I am still looking for answers to. I did get gene tested so I can say that genes(and family history bearing that out) are part of it. The family history is in regards to celiac disease, not diabetes. I'm the first we know of with diabetes, but that same celiac disease gene I have is also linked with diabetes.

Ahh, how did I know you might be a kindred soul. I was a vegetarian wannabe my whole life. No political issues, I just plain didn't like meat, the chewing, the smell, the taste etc. I would eat the family dinner minus the meat most times, which meant pasta or rice or potatoes and veg. and plenty of cheese. When I learned I had diabetes and figured out that meat helped, I made my peace with the forms that I could tolerate and set out to slowly train myself to eat more. I still could easily go days or weeks without but my body functions SO much better with it that I eat it as part of my daily routine. I eat a good 4 oz, 3 meals a day. I started with just a slice of ham at breakfast and added 1 more as I got used to the portions, until I reached my goal.

• Upvote 1

Yeah I have a love/hate relationship with meat. I do like the way it taste but don't like it for obvious reasons. If turkey and chicken and shrimp started growing on trees one day I'd be a happy camper lol Even though I like it I was never opposed to eating a meal of just macaroni and cheese or a big bowl of mashed potatoes and gravy :D Oh and fettucini alfreado. Ok I need to stop now lol One of my uncles has diabetes but he's a big guy so I figured that's why but then I found out my other uncle has it too. My grandmother had a few relatives with it also. I really think my grandmother has gluten issues too. She's anemic and has osteoperosis and dementia. She eats oatmeal pretty much everyday. Her generation ate well so I don't think she should have these problems. And I've been seeing that there maybe a link between alzheimers and dementia and blood sugar. So even though she's a small lady maybe she has sugar issues too? Maybe? I dunno. So I guess all this junk runs in the family. Sorry I'm bablbling again lol

I feel better about meat when I buy meat from animals that have been ethically raised. It's usually hormone-free and not treated with antibiotics too. It costs a little more but I feel much better about eating it.

I don't know what we did to get so unlucky. I have autoimmune thyroid disease and now cognitive problems that I can't figure out. I guess it's still better than dying of cancer.

It is possible that the problem is gluten (possibly other food intolerances also) and once you get your digestive healed up you will be able to tolerate at least some carbohydrates. It is way to early to know that. But keeping your blood sugar steady speeds up healing so you are doing the right thing!

It is possible that the problem is gluten (possibly other food intolerances also) and once you get your digestive system healed up you will be able to tolerate at least some carbohydrates. It is way to early to know that for sure. But keeping your blood sugar steady speeds up healing so you are doing the right thing!

Testing - you need to be checking after meals rather than fasting numbers at this point.

Try testing one meal a day. Test before and after breaakfast on a weekend, test before and after lunch the next day, same for the dinner the next. Test the meals you eat the most often and post your data here or over on Bernstein. You can gather suggestions for how to tweak or replace the meal to get the numbers you need.

This is not a forever thing but is a great investment in your health now.

Re: fruit - eat it and test. If you don't like the numbers, the fruit needs to go for now. It is possible that you would do better with fresh or frozen fruit with coconut milk (not low fat, such as berries and coconut milk (full fat) or peaches with same. Dried fruit is unlikely to work at this point.

Do you tolerate ghee (butter the casein removed) if you do, that can be a handy fat.

I am not sure how you are going to cope with the testing issue - maybe a hypnotist could help? The diabetes world awaits a non-invasive way to test, but the new meters and lances are much improved. Some lances are much better than other too. Check the diabetes mine website for brand suggestions or perhaps MissysMom has a suggestion.

I feel better about meat when I buy meat from animals that have been ethically raised. It's usually hormone-free and not treated with antibiotics too. It costs a little more but I feel much better about eating it.

I don't know what we did to get so unlucky. I have autoimmune thyroid disease and now cognitive problems that I can't figure out. I guess it's still better than dying of cancer.

I need to look around the stores I go to for that kind of chicken. Just gotta start adding it into the budget. Thanks for mentioning that :) I don't wish any of this on anyone but I guess I'm just confused as to why I'm the manin one in my family with this stuff. The more I think about it I think it's more that either my family just doesn't talk about it, figures feeling bad is normal or they are just afraid of the truth. And it's true it is better than dying of cancer but before going gluten free I was almost positive that's where I was headed with my tummy problems. :(

It is possible that the problem is gluten (possibly other food intolerances also) and once you get your digestive healed up you will be able to tolerate at least some carbohydrates. It is way to early to know that. But keeping your blood sugar steady speeds up healing so you are doing the right thing!

I'm just so scared about all of this :( I'm still trying to bring myself to buy a meter. It's like I'll have it if I get one. And I know this is horrible but I started craving sugar and carbs more after all of this. Giving up the gluten and dairy wasn't as bad as I thought but having to watch the few foods I have left it so frustrating. I really hope all of this is temporary and like you said maybe I just need to heal. Hopefully I'm thinking reasonably and not just in denial.

I haven't been eating dairy. Unless a milk chocolate chip cookie slips under my radar :) I eat dairy free butter. I asked my husband if he could help me with the testing until I get used to it. I never thought I'd say it but I'm starting to get used to the needles. I still don't like them but at least I don't hide under the table anymore :)

I really appreciate all of you responding. I'm still scared but all of your responses are making it easier. I need to work on getting food ideas. Especially for when I get home fromn work in the evenings. That seems the time when I carbo load the most. I know that can't be good.

Bunny,

Could you ask your doc for a meter? Many will give them out free. Also you can get them free from pharmacies and mfrs. sometimes. Thing is you'll need a prescription for strips or they are costly out of pocket.

My spouse felt the same way about buying a meter. He ended up giving his a name, Audrey, after the blood sucking plant in Little House of Horrors.

You hang in there, you are doing great things for your health!

• Upvote 2

Well I called my dr's office and am going to go pick up a meter tomorrow. They said they have a free one for me and scripts for lancets and strips. I hope it's the meter I wanted lol :) I can't believe my numbers were that close to being diabetic and he didn't seem to treat it more seriously. I'm in the process of getting the referral to the other endo. I probably won't be able to see her until March but if she knows what she's doing it's worth it. I'll be able to talk to her about the gluten stuff, my thyroid (get my t3 checked) and this whole blood sugar thing. I need to change my eating all over again. I've been so tired lately and sleeping a lot. Hopefully fixing my sugar will help. I really want to fix and reverse this. Hopefully my body will heal and some of these problems will resolve themselves so I can lose these last 10lbs that don't want to leave! lol <_<

Is there a special equation for this blood sugar thing or do I just have to eat and test and go from there? Do any of you know of any iphone apps for this? :)