Jump to content
  • Sign Up
0
T.H.

Info For Those With Confusing Corn Reactions

Rate this topic

Recommended Posts

I know I've seen a few folks on the forum mention what they considered a confusing reaction: having more problems with highly processed corn, like cornstarch, than with corn itself, even if you ate more of the corn itself.

If that is an issue for you, you might want to go check out sulfite sensitivities/allergy. Many processed corn derivatives contain sulfites (citric acid, dextrose, and cornstarch, to name a few), so small amounts of corn derivatives could give a reaction when plain corn might be just fine.

But with so many corn derivatives containing sulfites, it can seem very much like corn is the culprit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know I've seen a few folks on the forum mention what they considered a confusing reaction: having more problems with highly processed corn, like cornstarch, than with corn itself, even if you ate more of the corn itself.

If that is an issue for you, you might want to go check out sulfite sensitivities/allergy. Many processed corn derivatives contain sulfites (citric acid, dextrose, and cornstarch, to name a few), so small amounts of corn derivatives could give a reaction when plain corn might be just fine.

But with so many corn derivatives containing sulfites, it can seem very much like corn is the culprit.

Thanks for the information Shauna! I've noticed this phenomenon myself. I can eat an organic corn chowder with no problems, but give me processed cornstarch chips, or anything with citric acid, and I have reactions that night and the next day. Very confusing! It's good of you to clear that up. :rolleyes:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
0

×