motherdaughter

High Co2 Levels In Blood

Rate this topic

I have had autoimmune hypothyroidism since 16, I am now 43. My 12 year old daughter was just diagnosed this fall with the same. Also this fall I started having some "episodes". One time I thought I was having a stroke. Many head scans, arterial and nerve tests later, discovered that it wasn't a stroke. I have also fought intermittent fatigue and brain fog for years. This has launched a serious search for answers for both my daughter and I. We both have been gluten free since her diagnosis in September and will be regardless of whether we are ever diagnosed as celiac or not. I have been looking through past blood work and have noticed that I have high levels of CO2. I have never had a doctor call it to my attention so for some reason they have not been concerned (or educated as to its causes). I did some research and found that one reason could be gastric dumping - either fast or slow emptying of stomach contents. One of the causes could be celiac. I was wondering if anyone else has had a complete metabolic panel done and found high CO2 levels.

I also have intestinal issues that are not debilitating but are a sign of dysfunction. I feel better physically, I am more regular and have increased mental clarity and better mood on a very low grain/carb diet. I also have a lot of food allergies to common everyday foods that I am trying to eliminate slowly.

Any insight?

Are you or is anyone else in your house a smoker? That would elevate the Co2. I don't know if anything celiac wise could account for that but I also have had elevated Co2 but my doctors considered it to be because I am a smoker. Perhaps others will have some other possible reasons.

No, I am not a smoker and no one in the house smokes. I exercise regularly and eat very healthily. My 16 year old son who is a swimmer and healthy also has high co2. I found reference to CO2 results in a book and it referred to "gastric dumping" and mentioned celiac disease as a possible reason. I have not been biopsied, but have a negative blood test. I do not want to start eating gluten again in order to be biopsied, but want to know for my children's sake.