This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Enlarged Thyroid With Normal Tsh And Im Gluten And Dairy Free

newbie2011

newbie2011 Newbie

Hi, I have been off of gluten for around 8 months now and off of dairy for about 1 month. I have been told that I have an enlarged thyroid even though my thyroid tsh is 1.8. They ordered a full thyroid panel test and an ultrasound. Im 25 and otherwise healthy but I was wondering if anyone else has had the same problem and what happened? Im a little scared to find out what the results are. An interesting note is that my thyroid tsh level in 2009(when I started having problems) was at 4.5 and now was at 1.8 in october and I just got tested today. I have a pcp and also just started working with a naturopathic dr who I love! So hopefully I can get this under control. Any stories or advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Michelle L Apprentice

Sounds somewhat similar to me..

Im 19...and a few months ago, the doctor found I had an enlarged thyroid (goiter) as well as nodules in my thyroid. But, all of my bloodwork...tsh, T3, T4 came back normal multiple times, so the endo said he didn't know what was wrong.

Then, I went to a nutritionist/allergist, and found out I was allergic to gluten/dairy/multiple other foods...I started gluten free diet and a lot of symptoms went away.

My nutritionist said that gluten and/or the other allergies could have an effect on thyroid. So I am hoping that by eliminating gluten and the other allergies...the thyroid may go down and become less inflamed.

I had previously had an ultrasound before the diet, and I am scheduled to get an ultrasound and bloodwork done in a few months, so then I will I compare the results. In my opinion, as well as after reading articles, there is a link between thyroid conditions and gluten. Unfortunately, a lot of people are not aware though. But that was how I first had thought that I was gluten intolerant, because I was trying to find out why my thyroid would just suddenly become enlarged. I thought my thyroid was the problem, but actually now Im pretty sure gluten was the main problem, and the thyroid was a result of the gluten allergy.

Hopefully this may help!

burdee Enthusiast

Hi, I have been off of gluten for around 8 months now and off of dairy for about 1 month. I have been told that I have an enlarged thyroid even though my thyroid tsh is 1.8. They ordered a full thyroid panel test and an ultrasound. Im 25 and otherwise healthy but I was wondering if anyone else has had the same problem and what happened? Im a little scared to find out what the results are. An interesting note is that my thyroid tsh level in 2009(when I started having problems) was at 4.5 and now was at 1.8 in october and I just got tested today. I have a pcp and also just started working with a naturopathic dr who I love! So hopefully I can get this under control. Any stories or advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Did your doc check your thyroid antibody levels (Thyroid peroxidase antibodies or TPOab)? What were results of tests for your other thyroid hormones like free t3, free t4 and reverse t3?

What you described with a high TSH and then a later low TSH alongwith an enlarged thyroid could be the result of thyroid antibodies destroying your thyroid gland. The gluten free diet may not restore full thyroid function, if you have already sustained damage, even if your thyroid antibodies decrease while following the gluten-free diet. The gluten-free diet can't restore thyroid function, though it may prevent further damage. You may need thyroid hormones to restore full metabolic function (energy, body temperature, regularity, etc.)

There was a recent study in Finland with patients who had gluten intolerance and autoimmune thyroid disaease. After a year on the gluten-free diet the patients continued to have thyroid gland atrophy despite abstaining from gluten. That was just one study, but it suggests that the gluten free diet may not reverse or even stop antibody damage.

newbie2011 Newbie

Thanks Michelle for the input it definately does sound similar so hopefully things continue to get better.

burdee I have only had my tsh tested before but yesterday I had a blood draw to do a full thyroid panel test so hopefully those results will be in within a couple of days and I can update. They went ahead and ordered a thyroid ultrasound because the dr anticipated that the test would come back normal due to my other bloodwork. He wanted to do the ultrasound to get a better idea what is going on. I have wondered if I have had damage already to my thyroid because now that I look back I began to show symptoms of thyroid issues almost three years ago :( but I guess I will see soon if the damage has been done. I started to really suspect it after my son was born mid 2010 and I couldnt lose any weight despite trying multiple diet and exercise changes.

Meowwwww Newbie

Hello,

I have an enlarged thyroid. A couple of years ago, I had what you are having done done. My thyroid levels were checked three times, and they are all normal. I am supposed to get yearly ultrasounds done to make sure my enlarged thyroid doesn't turn into something malignant. So far so good. I'm tired all the time, and I get sick a lot. Not sure if those have to do with my thyroid or not because apparently everything is fine.

Good luck and don't be scared.

newbie2011 Newbie

Thanks meowwwww for your comment. I just had my ultrasound today and it was quick and not bad at all. Im feeling a little better about things. My bloodwork results still weren't in though so I will have to wait until monday to get those. I have 2 dr appointments next week and I also get tired really easy and have had a very hard time losing weight. Hopefully I can get some helpful results. I will post them as soon as I find out.

Melissa Palomo Apprentice

I've had a nodule on my right thyroid for a few years. Many biopsies. Even more ultrasounds. And... nothing. Just keep on monitoring it for now - but sometimes it's just nothing. :) I hope yours is nothing, too!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

AVR1962 Collaborator

Had a nodule on right side of thyroid that was suspicous size. Was put on low dose iodized thyroid med to try and shrink the size but it did not work. Biopsy was done, tests normal. They took me off the thyroid meds 3 months ago and will retest in 2 weeks.

Rolodog3 Newbie

Have they checked you for Hashimoto's? Your TSH levels will be all over the boards and goiter is common.

TeknoLen Rookie

I agree with burdee nd others who asked about thyroid antibodies blood test. Those results will be telling. I would add that lack of iodine can also cause goiter. This is not too much of a problem anymore in western civilization due to iodized salt but still a problem in some developing parts of the world. Did you cut back on iodized salt or switch to sea salt when you went gluten free 8 months ago. My understanding is tha sea salt does not contain iodine...

Archived