Pandoranitemare

Gluten Challenge - Oatmeal?

Rate this topic

I am currently on a gluten challenge (eugh!) and I am wondering about oatmeal. It has been my staple breakfast for quite some time (apart from my brief gluten free period when I switched to millet porridge). Anyway, the brand I buy specifically says on the pack it contains gluten, although I am not sure if this is just a small amount due to cross contamination, that they have to say this. It is not an allergy advice 'may contain' warning but a very definite it does contain gluten.

My question is, shall I continue with my oatmeal breakfast, or should I switch to something else with a more definite, and probably higher, gluten/wheat base for the duration of the challenge?

I really appreciate all the advice and information on this site. I have been reading a lot of posts over the past couple of days, it is amazing...and you guys are so helpful and offer such a wealth of good info that you are happy to share :)

Most doctors say to eat 4 slices of bread worth of gluten a day. I really doubt your oatmeal would have as much gluten as even half a slice of toast because the gluten would have to be either CC or a flavoring. You could keep eating the oatmeal and have your gluten later or switch to a wheat cereal. (My stomach hurts just thinking about that one!)

Thank you,

You pretty much confirmed what I thought. I know that the blood tests are not always reliable, so I really want to give it the best chance, if I am going to put myself through this, I want to make sure I do it right!

I guess the best thing would be to switch to a wheat based cereal to be sure I am can spread the gluten, and get some at every meal.

Oh, how I stare longingly at the lovely tub of gluten free muesli mix I made :) I can't wait to eat that again...

I am counting the days till the challenge and testing is over.