smsm

Spice Question

Rate this topic

I know that some spices (Spice Island and McCormick, right?) have gluten-free lists. I ran into a grocery store that only carried Morton and Bassett today and bought cumin for something I am making tonight. I am certain that I was glutened by poultry seasoning earlier this year (I am still incredulous that this could be possible, but I cannot figure out what else could have caused it - I can't remember the name of the spice - it is also the supplier for Whole Foods? - when I contacted them they said they have gluten in the facility and cannot guarantee gluten-free). OK, so I called Morton and Bassett out of caution and the man that answered said "We have no gluten in our facility but we can't guarantee because of our suppliers." So I said, "What happens in your facility? Your supplier is growing the product and sending it you and then you bottle it?" and He said "Yes" and I said "So, it could come into contact with gluten while it is grown?" and he said "Yes". I am not going to use the spice and will try to remember what I need when I can buy the safe products that claim to be gluten-free, but am I being ridiculous? I am so frightened of being glutened again - for me, the symptoms last sooooo long, but I feel like this is absurd. Is this an example of CYA? This is a perfect example of my struggle to balance fear and reason with this diet. Fear is completely winning.

Please keep in mind that "spice" and "seasoning" are two very different animals. No grain product, and thus no gluten, can be hidden in a spice, or an ingredient labeled as "spices."

"Seasoning" can contain much more than spices. Barley malt can be hidden there, as can wheat flour. If flour is present, in Canada and the US the word "wheat" must appear on the label, either in the ingredient list or in a "Contains" statement.

Honestly, I do think that you are overreacting to the possibility of cross-contamination. Nobody will make a guarantee unless they test for gluten. CYA - don't make a claim you can't prove. No mainstream manufacturer tests because it is expensive and makes their product cost more for the 99% of the market that don't give a sh*t about gluten content.

My view, based on almost twelve years eating gluten-free and including products from the supermarket in my diet. I am happy and healthy.

• Upvote 1

Thank you so much for the reply - I needed someone to help me reduce the crazy in my head! I know they have to label the wheat if it is included - it is the possibility of cc that throws me. I can't believe that potential cc caused such a big reaction in me, but I can't explain what happened any other way. Ever since that incident, I am so paranoid and uncomfortable that some unexpected pain could come at any meal - no matter how certain I am that it will be ok. I have seen such incredible improvement since diagnosis/following this diet for over a year and I just don't want to go back to the pain.

You can buy fresh spices and use those, but that won't work for cumin. I had problems with spices too, but I am sensitive to very low levels.