Mrs. M.

Raynaud's Symptoms Feel Worse Since Starting gluten-free Diet

Rate this topic

I started on a gluten-free diet last month, after being diagnosed with celiac disease. I have had Raynaud's syndrome for years. I know the two can be connected, but I am surprised (not happily) that my Raynaud's symptoms seem much worse ever since I started the gluten-free diet. I know it is winter but our weather is very mild. I am now getting white fingertips many times a day, usually when I am preparing food or after I have eaten. Maybe it is just that I am cooking a lot more food from scratch, washing fruit and veggies, etc. But I'm curious about whether there could be any medical explanation for this.

thanks!

I started on a gluten-free diet last month, after being diagnosed with celiac disease. I have had Raynaud's syndrome for years. I know the two can be connected, but I am surprised (not happily) that my Raynaud's symptoms seem much worse ever since I started the gluten-free diet. I know it is winter but our weather is very mild. I am now getting white fingertips many times a day, usually when I am preparing food or after I have eaten. Maybe it is just that I am cooking a lot more food from scratch, washing fruit and veggies, etc. But I'm curious about whether there could be any medical explanation for this.

thanks!

I've tried to figure this out myself. I went on a gluten-free diet 11 moths ago ad this witer was the worst for me as far as Reyaud's. I have always bee able to mananage it but this year my feet turned weird colors and quite honestly it did not feel like I was getting the proper circulation. Doc check my pulse in my legs several time. I would soak my feet in hot water and I would feel this popping inside my foot which pediatrist said was normal witn Reynaud's. I have tried various oils and nothing I have found so far makes a difference.

I did read an article about a lady who had Reynaud's who was forced because of her living situation to wash her hair and do her dishes in all cold water who found relief from Reynaud's by using cold water. Something I have not tried yet.

I also have problems with my sciatic nerve which have been alot worse this past year and have wondered if there is alos a connection there as well.

I find my Raynauld's gets worse when my thyroid meds are off...You may want to check your thyroid

I was dx'd celiac 2.5 years ago, and the first two winters were pretty bad. When the temp was above 45(F), no problems, but once it hit 45 and below, I'd have lovely white fingers. That is, if you consider 'corpse white' lovely. This winter it hasn't been as bad, probably because I've spent less time in the cold, but also I try to keep my core temperature up by dressing super warm on my torso. So an undershirt, a turtleneck, a sweater, and a heavy coat on cold days. It's better when my coat is long enough to cover my behind too! So far this year I've only had an 'attack' two or three times when getting food out of the fridge. So for me, the reynaud's has gotten better. I hope yours does too!

-Daisy