This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Best Kid Cookbook?

mamaupupup

mamaupupup Contributor

Hi there! What is the best gluten-free cookbook for kids with lots of great pictures in it? My girls LOVE to cook and I want to celebrate going gluten-free by giving them a great cookbook that we can make EVERYTHING from! :) Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

sa1937 Community Regular

Hi there! What is the best gluten-free cookbook for kids with lots of great pictures in it? My girls LOVE to cook and I want to celebrate going gluten-free by giving them a great cookbook that we can make EVERYTHING from! :) Thanks!

What are the ages of your girls? That might help someone to make a recommendation. My 13-year old granddaughter loves to cook when she's here (with supervision, of course). She's become quite the cupcake and muffin baker as well as pizza maker but uses my cookbooks.

mamaupupup Contributor

Thanks Sylvia! They are 5!

alex11602 Collaborator

My 5 year old loves to cook with me and she likes to look in my Gluten Free Almond Flour Cookbook, but she prefers to take her old kids cookbooks and see what she has to change to make the recipes gluten free.

SilverSlipper Contributor

I let my 10 yr old cook although it's a progression of things (for example, she can use the oven independently, but not the stove). She first started by doing box items, cake/brownie mixes, no bake cookies, pudding, etc. We don't really use cookbooks a lot (although I love to look through them for ideas). We find our favorites and she uses our recipes.

She made dinner last night from a pork loin (marinated in mojo sauce), steamed rice (from a rice steamer), and steamed veggies (steamer bag in microwave). My littlest (who is 7) is making chili in the crockpot tonight (we have our beans cooking now and she'll add items I have prepped for her).

I think it's good to teach kids to cook. Simple things first, then more complex. They can always help by measuring, washing food items, etc.

Cara in Boston Enthusiast

We got "Eat Like a Dinosaur" from the library and enjoyed it. I may even buy it from Amazon. Another one I liked (not a kids book, but not hard) was "Everyday Paleo". We are not a paleo family, but I tend to like those cookbooks more. Some of the gluten-free ones are just silly (regular recipes that just sub in gluten-free products . . . like Grilled Cheese Sandwich (use gluten-free bread!) and Lasagna - use gluten-free noodles!) the paleo books avoid all this and use regular, easy to find ingredients.

Try your library first . . . when you find one you like, buy it.

Cara

alex11602 Collaborator

We got "Eat Like a Dinosaur" from the library and enjoyed it. I may even buy it from Amazon. Another one I liked (not a kids book, but not hard) was "Everyday Paleo". We are not a paleo family, but I tend to like those cookbooks more. Some of the gluten-free ones are just silly (regular recipes that just sub in gluten-free products . . . like Grilled Cheese Sandwich (use gluten-free bread!) and Lasagna - use gluten-free noodles!) the paleo books avoid all this and use regular, easy to find ingredients.

Try your library first . . . when you find one you like, buy it.

Cara

Our library didn't have "Eat like a Dinosaur", but I found it at Walmart for $16.60 which is cheaper then Amazon so I bought it for my daughter for Easter. It looks like a great book.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

momtok&m Explorer

I love Wheat-Free, Gluten-Free Cookbook for Kids and Busy Adults. When DD was diagnosed this cook book was a lifesaver! Most of the recipes are fairly simple and there are kid friendly things in the back-I believe crafty recipes but I haven't looked at it in a while.

Archived