This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

What Have I Been Tested For?

RiFi

RiFi Newbie

Hi Everyone,

Any ideas on the something?

My (new) GP and I are exploring whether I might have Celiac Disease. My mind and body is always all over the shop, so I can't say that I'm aware of reacting to gluten and/ or wheat per se. But given that I have many of the markers, we're just beginning to investigate.

I have just been tested for:

TTG, IgA gliadin Abs

The blood test results are back, and although they've come back as negative for celiac disease, there's something that's shown up that my GP would like to discuss with me. My appointment isn't for another 5 days and I'm wondering what the 'something' could be? Any ideas?

Thanks

Ri

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ukdan Rookie

The TTG tests for antibodies that are produced if the body reacts to gluten (which in turns causes damage to the small intestine) so it sounds like your results were within the normal range if they have said negative for celiac. It might be worth asking for more details just to be sure, and also to bear in mind that false negatives can occur with these tests.

Beyond that, without knowing what other blood tests were run I wouldn't want to make any suggestions as to what they have called you in for. It is probably best not to worry too much about it until then!

youwillrise Rookie

Well, I *hope* if it were something alarming or really important that they had to discuss with you, they'd have you come in sooner than 5 days...I hope all turns out well! Best wishes. : )

RiFi Newbie

The TTG tests for antibodies that are produced if the body reacts to gluten (which in turns causes damage to the small intestine) so it sounds like your results were within the normal range if they have said negative for celiac. It might be worth asking for more details just to be sure, and also to bear in mind that false negatives can occur with these tests.

Beyond that, without knowing what other blood tests were run I wouldn't want to make any suggestions as to what they have called you in for. It is probably best not to worry too much about it until then!

Thank you for your feedback :)

Just to clarify, do the letters 'TTG, IgA gliadin Abs' pertain to one test or two? The comma after TTG is throwing me because it makes it look like two different tests.

Hope me question makes sense :unsure:

RiFi Newbie

Thank you for your well wishes :) Like you, I'm sure nothing serious has shown up, I think I'm kinda curious more than anything.

It sounds like a ridiculously indulgent and naive thing to say, but when you've got soooo many issues going on with both my head and body, you kind of hope you can uncover/ be diagnosed with a condition that helps make sense of at least some of the messy pieces. And just as importantly, that there are steps you can take ie go gluten-free to help ameliorate the symptoms. In saying that, whether I do or don't have the condition, I'm not for a moment minimising the harsh realities of celiac disease - I have a very close friend who has it along with her two children and I've seen the very difficult path they travel on a daily basis.

Any way, I'll sit tight for another few days :)

mushroom Proficient

TTG, IgA gliadin Abs

I have never seen it written quite that way before, but the best guess is that you were tested for tissue transglutaminase IgA antibodies.

youwillrise Rookie

I feel the same way. I've been experiencing these weird, uncomfortable, scary symptoms for nearly 3 months now...and tomorrow ill hopefully get some answers and be on my way to a solution. You never want to be told you have any disease or condition...but when you feel like crap, you want to know what is going on and what you can do about it.

here's to you and your health!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived