Brad52

Possible Issues With Gluten?

Rate this topic

So I've been on a low carb diet for 10 months now. I started it after watching Fathead and reading Wheatbelly shortly after. Feel better than I have in a long time. Lost 38lbs. Energy is improved, fatigue mainly gone, mood is better. Anxiety is reduced, depression is gone. I have made a strong effort to avoid the worst of the carbs, especially wheat since reading Wheatbelly. Now if I have a rare indulgence (and I mean rare) of a starch or sugar I have no issues. The problem is when I have something that contains wheat I have a very different reaction. The times where I have really noticed it is when I have had a wheat containing food on an empty stomach.

The first symptom I have that shows up almost immediately is an overwhelming fatigue. This is followed a few hours later by GI symptoms (Gas, Bloating and Diarrhea). I have also noticed a Rapid Heartbeat and increased Anxiety a few times.

Most of the symptoms are gone by the end of the day with the exception of the fatigue which is terrible for the first 2 days and then gradually fades.

Should I be concerned that this is a possible issue with Gluten or that I am just not used to eating wheat anymore? This has happened about 5 times since I started low carb (like I said I don't cheat often) and is a bit disconcerting. Testing is a bit of an issue since I am already eating gluten free as part of my LC diet.

Thoughts?

Thank you.

The reaction you descibe does sound like a gluten related reaction. Your body seems to be clearly telling you it doesn't want gluten. If you do want to be tested you have to go back on gluten for at least 2 to 3 months before testing.

• Upvote 1